Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:11 PM   #1

Default Aiptek I2 3D firmware upgrade

Seems like a new firmware update is available for the euro version that addresses the frame rate issue everyone seems to complain about. http://www.aiptek.eu/index.php?optio...236&Itemid=587

Wonder if it works for the US version or if anyone is willing to try?

The frame rate is the only thing keeping me from purchasing, no firmware info on the US site.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:44 PM   #2

Updated the firmware and the framerate issue is no more.
Also sd card formatting is now possible + some new noises.

Video works really smooth in both inside and outside lighting.
Definetely at 30fps or really close. Actually the horrible panning ghost fx is gone and with a steady hand or a merlin-Rig itīs now possible to make
normal calm pans.

Great that the company managed to put out a upgrade that
really makes a difference.
sxkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:13 PM   #3

Just got this from Amazon, and it's going back. Just not worth $200 or even $100. This coming from an Aiptek supporter. I've had the Aiptek GVS and currently have the Aiptek Pencam HD I bought for $40 on Amazon which was a steal. I also updated the firmware but with this cam not only was the framerate an issue, the video quality stinks as well. Seems faded and blocky. Even worse when you convert the 3D videos to anaglyph, makes the videos grainy looking. Only sort of positive are the 3D pics which aren't too bad, but video is garbage. Even 2D is terrible. If the quality was as good as the pencam, that'd make my day but the video really sucks in my opinion. Should be advertised as a VGA camcorder.

Here are youtube samples comparing the 2:

Aiptek 3D in 2D mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6mt01nifA

Aiptek pencam HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9nXCo69MhE

Also including 3D image samples
Attached Images

Last edited by HDfan23; Sep 28, 2010 at 2:20 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:30 PM   #4

the two vids the color is not perfect. when 1st clip viewed my eyes were seeing filter of Pinkish, hoping not the pic prior here doing games to my eyes lol

coloring is so off on both cams I cannot even begin to comment LOL.

I hear you have to shoot not a great distance to achieve proper efect. and that may be the isues of some, but I agree that if you're offering a 3d cam jump right to HD1080P ...
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
the two vids the color is not perfect. when 1st clip viewed my eyes were seeing filter of Pinkish, hoping not the pic prior here doing games to my eyes lol

coloring is so off on both cams I cannot even begin to comment LOL.

I hear you have to shoot not a great distance to achieve proper efect. and that may be the isues of some, but I agree that if you're offering a 3d cam jump right to HD1080P ...
Yeah, the Aiptek 3D definitely seems to have a pinkish tint, the pencam HD I'm more than satisfied. But yeah if you're going to offer 3D at least make it acceptable quality or wait til you get it right. I'm not even sure how people on Amazon have been giving this 4 or 5 stars, and to me $200 is not chump change like some people on amazon who have purchased this are saying.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:50 AM   #6

yeah, quality is what it is, but at least it wasnīt a surprise. For me the biggest issue was the framerate which is now good enough for me and Iīm not going to sell mine to get fujiīs w3.
For 2D I own a z700extreme(gvs) which has lost of feautures I really like.
Although it works best in good lighting conditions, that brings in mind to test the slowmotion fx with 60fps...havenīt tried it out yet.
sxkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxkx View Post
yeah, quality is what it is, but at least it wasnīt a surprise. For me the biggest issue was the framerate which is now good enough for me and Iīm not going to sell mine to get fujiīs w3.
For 2D I own a z700extreme(gvs) which has lost of feautures I really like.
Although it works best in good lighting conditions, that brings in mind to test the slowmotion fx with 60fps...havenīt tried it out yet.
Yeah well I was hoping the quality would be at least as good as the pencam HD because I think you can have reasonable expectations for $200. Obviously not looking for Avatar 3D quality but at least good enough where you think "wow!" and have confidence you can show other people which I didn't have with the Aiptek 3D. Kind of same reaction for the pencam @ $40, first thought was that's really good at that price after seeing a video, but with the Aiptek 3D my only thought was what a rip off it was. Plus I don't understand why it adds a pinkish/purplish tint, u can clearly see it when you view the video on a non-3D screen. And when you record in 2D mode, it seems to record with the lense that adds the purplish tint. And the software it includes for converting video to anaglyph is horrible, pretty useless. Makes the video look like you're watching a show with bad reception.

Last edited by HDfan23; Sep 29, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:06 PM   #8

Default Firmware 180

The .eu site has a 160 release of the firmware, and Aiptek support sent me a 180 to try out when I was reporting color issues (a reddish tint on the right side). It did not resolve the issue and they suggested returning the device. I am charging the replacement now and will see how it goes.

I am posting information I find out about using this device on a Mac natively (I have just been running the Windows software on my Mac so far). Video conversion using Final Cut is a few steps, but easy (just requires render time) and the same can be done for photos, but it would be much easier to have a simple droplet or something to do the conversion.
allenhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:17 PM   #9

I bought an Aiptek 3D camcorder and I do not want to install the firmware update since my Aiptek has a number of 3 blah blah blah - and the instructions clearly state that if the firmware number is 1---, install the update, but 2---,3---,4---- or higher, do not install.

However, I still feel I need it. I hear people say how great the video quality is, especially on their 3D HDTVs. I just bought a 50" Samsung Plasma 3D HDTV and everything I shot with the Aiptek looks like crap. All the edges are blurry - features are smudged together and in general, just looks bad (using HDMI cable directly into the TV - TV recognizes the side-by-side and my shutter glasses are working great for other 3D titles) - regardless of low light or direct sunlight recording. High speeds slow down to slo-mo (especially in a fast moving car) and is totally blurred.

I have several cameras, including a Sanyo 720p and that looks INCREDIBLE on the Plasma TV. My Panasonic HS100 looks fantastic - and that's a 1080i camera. Of course, my Canon XH A1 looks awesome, but that's expected.

Is anyone feeling the same way about their aiptek 3d camcorder, or is everyone peachy keen? I am DYING to record some good looking 3D video, but cannot afford a more expensive quality 3D rig. I do not expect broadcast quality from the aiptek, but I do expect it to be on par with my $90 Sanyo 720p camcorder.

Thanks for your help and/or advice.

Mike
karmacomposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmacomposer View Post
I bought an Aiptek 3D camcorder and I do not want to install the firmware update since my Aiptek has a number of 3 blah blah blah - and the instructions clearly state that if the firmware number is 1---, install the update, but 2---,3---,4---- or higher, do not install.

However, I still feel I need it. I hear people say how great the video quality is, especially on their 3D HDTVs. I just bought a 50" Samsung Plasma 3D HDTV and everything I shot with the Aiptek looks like crap. All the edges are blurry - features are smudged together and in general, just looks bad (using HDMI cable directly into the TV - TV recognizes the side-by-side and my shutter glasses are working great for other 3D titles) - regardless of low light or direct sunlight recording. High speeds slow down to slo-mo (especially in a fast moving car) and is totally blurred.

I have several cameras, including a Sanyo 720p and that looks INCREDIBLE on the Plasma TV. My Panasonic HS100 looks fantastic - and that's a 1080i camera. Of course, my Canon XH A1 looks awesome, but that's expected.

Is anyone feeling the same way about their aiptek 3d camcorder, or is everyone peachy keen? I am DYING to record some good looking 3D video, but cannot afford a more expensive quality 3D rig. I do not expect broadcast quality from the aiptek, but I do expect it to be on par with my $90 Sanyo 720p camcorder.

Thanks for your help and/or advice.

Mike

I don't think you're alone. I purchased this last fall but was so unimpressed I returned it the same day. The firmware helped just a little bit with the framerate issue but the main key was just poor video quality. I also experienced the blurriness. Also videos and pics had some goofy reddish tint to it, seems like one lense is ok but the other adds the tint. Like you I just wish it had the same quality as my $40 Aiptek HD pencam which beats the 3D cam in every way. It's a good concept but poor execution.