Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:25 AM   #1
Default Looking for 2 camcorders for ganged 3D video

I currently own a Aiptek A-HD+ 1080p camera. So my options are.

1. Get another A-HD+. Pros, only need one more camera. Pretty pleased with picture quality Cons, the flip out screen limits how close I can place the camera together.

2. Buy 2 Aiptek's AHD Z7 1080P. Same flip out screen but true 1920x1080 instead of 1440x1080. Low light enhancement. (Supposedly better picture...can anyone confirm?)

3. Buy 2 Kodak Playsports. 1080p, no flip out screen so closer parallax possible, can go underwater! LOL How does the Kodak's picture quality compare to the Aiptek?

4. Something totally different you all suggest.

Which way to go?

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:33 PM   #2

how do you plan to interlace the video to make a stereo image?
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:10 PM   #3

There are 3D camera forums you can google. Over at dvinfo.net somebody left and started one, and I think they have one.

The issue is how to sync them. Not only do they fire a frame at different times, they carry over time and the exposure can effect the frame rate. You can do some electronic alterations to them.

People did use the old Canon TX1 (I think, the pistol pocket shaped one 720p30, 35mb/s MJPEG (equivalent to around 8mb/s modern h264 unless moving) cameras with the hacked firmware to sync multiple cameras.

The new Aiptek (as bad as people think it is) maybe better, and I have just posted a thread about the technology you will see in newer FullHD 3D cameras, if released, around here:

Ambarella's 3D fullhd announcement

Aiptek has been a disappointment, it started out as a first tier manufacturer in this third tier market, but has slipped back. Sanyo is perhaps the only company with 1st rate in this 3rd tier market here (and they have their own forum) and are a second tier manufacturer. Kodak is a second grade product, and that goes for many of the name brand manufacturers that have jumped on the bandwagon. Aiptek is one of the better ones of the rest.

For under or around a $1000 you may get a Panasonic Lumix camera that can do 3D fullHD (nice and bigger camera). The Fuji 3D cameras is worth checking out in future. And somebody is using the isee3D system, which will probably be good for this market (see thread on it). Mystery: Which Major Camcorder Manufacturer?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote