Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:25 PM   #1
Default Kodak Zi8 Reviews RoundUp

I have a Kodak Zi8 bought mid-late October/2010, before purchase I did research, that obviously meant reading reviews.

Here are some of the reviews that were useful to me -

First call was to ConsumerSearch.com
where they review the reviews -
ie: survey the available reviews, rate them, and come to some consensus -
the logical thing I would do, if I had the resources and time.

They have HD Camcorders - which has now been updated -
but back in Summer 2010 their top pick for pocket HD camcorder was the Flip UltraHD over the Kodak Zi8 - this is despite agreeing that the Zi8 had the best quality video over the Flip - but they did not like the Zi8 usability citing inconsistencies and choppy videos on the Mac.

In fact some of that is still cited in the current posting review of the Kodak Zi8 (link)

In that review they named their sources - which also were some of the most useful reviews I found:

CNET - Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera

PCMag.com - Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera

PC Advisor - Kodak Zi8 Review

Pocket-lint.com - Kodak Zi8 Camcorder Review

PcWorld.com - Kodak Zi8 Review
" offering superb video quality and versatile audio options. Quite simply, test footage shot with the Zi8 in 1080p mode is the highest-quality video we've seen in a pocket camcorder to date. " (Sep/14/2009)

all these reviews are now pretty dated - and probably tested earlier versions of the firmware.

Unfortunately for the Zi8 (and the Zi6) they did have early problems - some quite serious including seizing up, over-heating, whiny internal mic recordings - but these have subsequently been addressed - to the point where I think the Zi8 is a pretty good camcorder - and amazing for a pocket HD camcorder.

Please feel free to add any other reviews that were worthwhile.

Last edited by UnknownVT; Mar 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links