Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 24, 2011, 9:06 PM   #1
Default Aiptek GVS Stereo Separation

A friend just bought a Sony ECM-CS10 to play with as an external mic on his GoPro Hero 2 camcorder so I asked to borrow it to see if it would work in my Aiptek GVS as well. I found that it does, but even though it says it's stereo, I still don't hear any hint of stereo separation in the recorded video.

Has anyone confirmed that the Aiptek GVS can truly record in stereo? Even though it says in the manual that the internal mic is stereo, the audio always sounds mono to me so I thought that an external mic might work better but my experiments so far have proven negative. My Canon digital camera has internal stereo microphones that are about the same distance apart as those on the Aiptek, yet you can clearly hear the stereo separation, especially if something is far off to one side. The audio always sounds mono on the Aiptek, no matter how far to one side the source is, even with an external microphone.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:01 AM   #2

Internal stereo mic.

AV input stereo mic.

External port Mono mic.

As I have did my observation over a Year or so, what I learned, to accept the facts.that the cam does its job, just fine. Love to have that external Mic port.

Only ay would be to Modify from internal mics.

The quality is to be desired, and is as good as the Aiptek sound circuitry board, no more

And the quality is not the best, nor the worst.
These are Pc low Budget Economy Hybrid camcorders Great for the Daytime Outdoor shots
Light on the Object video made. No light No Video
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:09 PM   #3

The thing is the internal mic doesn't seem to record in what I would perceive as stereo. It would also be odd if the external mic was mono while the internal was stereo. Either way this seems a bit of a design defect. The sounds quality is fine for an inexpensive camcorder, if a bit over driven but stereo it obviously isn't
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote