Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:48 PM   #1

Default proper DC adapter for battery replacement?

Ok, I deleted my prior question because I could see it wasn't going to work unless I could find a mini USB cable that used all 5 connections, so.....

What I've found is that I can take out the battery and clip wires to the now empty battery terminals to run a DC power adapter. The camera seems to run fine this way and I can record videos, but I have a couple of questions:

1) What would be suggested for a DC power supply replacement for the battery? The battery appears to be 3.7 V1200 mAh. The original power supply was marked 5V, 1 amp but this may be too much for a direct battery replacement. For the tests, I used my lab supply set at 3.7V but of course it's too large to use all the time (and inconvenient).

2) If I have the battery replaced with this DC power supply, can I still transfer videos to the PC via USB, or should I unplug the power supply first? In my tests, I disconnected the power supply and, without any battery in place, it seemed like my PC USB cable powered the camera. Enough anyway that I could access and transfer the videos from the camera. The reason I'm asking is just in case I make a mistake and leave the power supply on while I'm trying to transfer videos.

Hope this is clearer as to what I want to do.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,
bill
BillRush5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:36 PM   #2

I also did that, used a dummy bat for the IS-DV, I used various chargers .....

You have to eliminate the data cable, or loop one to get the camera to charge, and record, but you will not be able to transfer. if you want to transfer, and charge you may need to modify the cable with a switch.

deep in the threads, there may just be the pin lay out. unsure if it is the stickie of the GVS, or one of the reviews written up here of Aiptek
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:08 PM   #3

G'day Bill

I am not at all sure as to what the heck you are trying to do here - are camera batteries no longer available?; or too expensive/; or what ... but for whatever reason, you have a need to setup some other form of power for the camera

I have several battery appliances [namely camera flashguns] where the regular batteries [in this case AA batteries] lose their power all too quickly

So I have made up alternate battery power via an external & larger battery and clipped wires into the original battery compartment terminals

You are talking about the original battery being 3,7v - how about trying some 3,7v rechargeables as an option

Here's what I am using lots of ...

http://www.dinodirect.com/ultrafire-...e-2400mah.html

Maye with a bit of home-DIY you will find a solution here without breaking the bank

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:24 PM   #4

Added note using batteries only.

3 AA rechargeable 1.2 x 3 =

3 AA alkaline 1.5 x 3 =

3 Lithiums 1.5 x 3 =

are going to work 3.6 - 4.5 vdv As long as the VDC is under 5.0vdc you will not have an issue, if you shoot over 6.0vdc your camera screen goes white
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:19 PM   #5

Sorry, guys, I'd have replied sooner but didn't see the replies in my email forwarding for some reason. Anyway, thanks, but I ended up supplying 4.5VDC directly to the + and - battery terminals in the unit. It seems to work fine. To transfer, it looks like I'll have to turn it off, plug in the PC to camera USB cable and allow the PC to power it while doing the transfers.
BillRush5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 4:23 AM   #6

Correct, that is the way things work. 4.5vdc = 3 AA batteries alkalines.

and unless you alter the usb cable or get an Aiptek supplied for power. a few dollars and your camera is in one piece.

You will need to modify the cable to loo or switch pins.