Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:06 PM   #1

Default any alternative remotes for Aiptek HD??

I just got Aiptek's remote today for my Aiptek V5VP, but it can't turn the camera on or off!!! Does Aiprek or anyone else make a remote that has on/off function also? Can't believe they didn't include this important feature
BillRush5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:24 PM   #2

A Television, has standby, and consumes power, about a watt or two, reasons why it is important to unplug your set when you "Go away".

Standby needs to have power, and to have this power, . The standby in battery mode and record time would be greatly reduced, and be a feature today needed for some cameras This is called Hibernation mode, and was in the Aiptek Line up, known back as the Aiptek DV5300, 2AAA system.

Either way ac/dc will we ever see it? I say, no, I rather have the On/off and knowing my camera will be working the next morning on the same battery left in. even days. weeks, and months.

To Answer your question. you can try a various remotes you have, and press each button, one of them will run the camera, a Vizeo ran my Kodak.

No Otherremote can turn on or off the Aiptek, when ths is not a feature in the cam?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 7:30 PM   #3

Well, my solution turned out to be a difficult one but certainly not impossible. Since I have to have nothing touched on the camera for what I'll be using it for, I had no choice but to jumper across the temporary push switch that turns the camera on and off. To get to the solderable jumper points though meant cutting through the housing using a Dremel. Not easy because one wrong move meant damaging the circuit board. Then soldering such small solder pads meant grinding down the tip of the pencil iron and using a large magnifying glass. However, the task was accomplished and now I'll have remote switching via an extended cord and switch. I just want to note here that the buttons around the LCD screen don't seem easily separated from the camera housing, in fact I couldn't get them separated at all which is why I dremeled from the silver back. While I was at it, I also jumpered across the recording button so this too can be operated via cord and switch. Plenty of special plastic bonding super glue was then used along all wire entrance points so the wires won't move under stress.

The above steps basically ruin the camera housing, but I don't use it for any other purpose so I don't really care. I suppose I could carefully fill in the dremeled holes with epoxy or cover them up with aluminum tape at some point.

I think I read in the forum here somewhere that steady hands and good eyesight are a must when soldering components this small and I couldn't agree more. In fact, these are about the smallest solder pads I've ever come across!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:56 AM   #4

Now this turned out to be an entirely different matter than the battery elimination! I disassembled the camera and jumpered across both the power and recording pins and then wired in the two external switches. Each switch is now on a 2.5 meter length cord for convenience.

This, however, is not a project recommended for either/or poor eyesight, unsteady hands, or bad nerves! The only way to reach the power switch jumpers was to use a dremel tool and grind down the back side of the flip open housing. There was no other way that I could see. I tried prying apart the switch pad from the housing, but it looked like either the housing or the switch touch pad was going to break if I went through with it. Then there was the issue of soldering. Very tiny soldering traces and pads! I had to grind down my soldering tip to a pin's width and use a 10x magnifier. The recording switch was easier because nothing needed ground down to reach it, but still tiny soldering pads so had to be careful.

This task basically ruined the camera housing for any other purpose than what I intend. I don't mind of course because I'm only using the unit for one thing, but I definitely wouldn't have done this if the camera were going to be used for everyday purposes. I suppose I could fill in the gap with epoxy or just cover it with aluminum tape. And one slip of the soldering iron or too much heat could have ruined the camera also. Not a project for beginners for sure!