Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:56 AM   #1
Default What does the cineform codec standardisation mean for us.

Hi, the cineform codec is a top very efficent frame by frame wavelet based compression codec that was acquired by gopro. In the production industry it has a very good reputation archieving a lot of high quality compression for the amount of processing power used. It tends to go visually lossless at upto 10:1 (ten years ago, so maybe more now. I could probably upto double that with some simple advances). In the production camera developments I was involved with the head cineform engineer invented the bayer raw version which seems more compressible on bayer pattern data that is already 1/3rd the size of highest quality 4:4:4 video images (every pixel records red green and blue light. Our handhelds records half the values). This results in compression data rates more in the range of mpeg2 or 4 for higher quality image.

I have been waiting for it to complete the stardisation process so it can be adopted by a wider variety of camera manufacturers. What it means for us is that given its lower processing overhead it is the first such codec that could fit on a pocket camera with small files at high quality. We may get an image of double or more the real compressed image quality of our current cameras if done right (though you will need a big good TV to really see it and not so easilly compressible scenes for h264/h265 codecs in our cameras. When using it's higher bit depth the most difference over our normal 8 bit video should be seen in contrasty situations with a propper sensor. The one real limitation is the 12 bit limitation, not such an issue for us given the 12 bit hdr TV standard, but 16 bit is preferable in dealing with the sun and shade.

At first, if used, it might be constricted or used in stills in such a camera or phone use, but I believe we may have enough head space in silicon chip technology to allow for descent resolution and images in a handheld.

Why use it?

It makes perfect sense, if your camera design can handle it, as a top 12 bit hdr quality recording mode on 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2.3 inch hdr sensor camera or phone. Which then canbe used as for top consumer camera or lowend begginers production camera (remember 1/4-1/2.3 inch). Normal binned pixels can be converted to bayer for reduced data rate and auto restored at playback with the pre-determined diffetence between the original and auto restore routine compressed co-recorded in file to maximise restoration (otherwise debayer restoration can be tricky). Something I proposed ten or more years ago.

It may never happen, but it can.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links