Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:29 PM   #1

Hey Everyone.....

I have never owned a digital camera or video camera and I'm looking to buy one on a budget. I have read a LOT of posts and it has only confused me more as I do not know much about cameras/specs. I have come across a couple of cameras that I could afford, but I am unsure if they are what I want. I have been hearing about Digilife, Aiptek, and Mustek.Please post the best cameras that will give the best stills and video for under $200. And if possible, where I can get it.

Ifound this Aiptek ISDV for like $130 and am thinking about it. Here are the specs I found....please let me know what is important in these specs and what it means and if there's something better near this price.

The new IS-DV from Aiptek pays close attention to detail, and let's you do the same with a maximum resolution of 5 mega pixels and a 1.8" LTPS color LCD. Record videos at 30 frames per second in MPEG-4 format, and never worry about shaking clips with the new image stabilizer function. The IS-DV also offers a lithium-ion battery with charger so you dont need to worry about buying batteries!

Product Features:

6-in-1 Multi-Function Design: Digital Still Camera, Digital Camcorder, MP3 Player, PC Camera, Digital Voice Recorder, and Removable Hard Disk

Max. Resolution up to 5 Mega-Pixel: Equipped with 3 Mega-Pixel CMOS Sensor, the Still Image Resolution of the ISDV is Enhanced to 5 Mega Pixels. Macro Lens enables High Quality Close Ups. Print 4" x 6", 5" x 7", or even 8" x 10" photos!

High Compression MPEG-4 for Recording Movies: MPEG-4 is the Ideal Way to Store Video Clips in a Highly Compact Format. With the ISDV, not only can you Shoot More Pictures and Movies, but you can also use it as a Portable Media Player for Downloaded MPEG-4 Movies.

Digital Video Stabilization: Advanced Digital Video Stabilization Technology Compensates for slight movements while Video Recording!

MP3 Player: Easily Load your Favorite MP3 Files and Playback the Music Directly or Enjoy Stereo Quality Music Via the Headset!

Rechargeable Battery w/ Charger: Save on Batteries! The ISDV is powered by a Lithium Ion Battery that easily charges via the included Battery Charger!

1.8" LTPS Color LCD Display: Review and Playback Video Clips and Pictures in Real Time. LTPS Technology provides better outdoor viewing than standard LCD's.

Flash Strobe w/ Red Eye Reduction: Built-in Flash Strobe Allows You to Take Snapshots in Darker Environments. Includes Red Eye Reduction.

Digital Zoom: 4x Real Time Digital Zoom Allows you to Zoom In/Out While Recording Video!

Playback Options: Connect the ISDV to your TV/VCR to Playback Video Clips and/or Pictures, or Playback Directly on the Built-in 1.8" Color LCD.

Removable Hard Disk and SD/MMC Card Reader: In Addition to the Internal Memory, the ISDV also allows you to Expand the Memory Capacity to Record, Snapshot, and Listen to More Songs. Store Any Type of Data on the Camera and Take it with you. It Works like a Removable Hard Disk and SD/MMC Card Reader!

System Requirements:

Microsoft Windows 98SE / ME / 2000 / XP

Macintosh Support: File Upload Only
PIII (or Equivalent)
Direct X 8.0 or Above
128 MB of RAM (256 MB Recommended)
Video Card with 64 MB of RAM for minimum 24 bit (True Color) Display
4X Speed CD-ROM
An Available USB Port

Package Contents:

ISDV Camera

Lithium Ion Battery
Battery Charger
Tripod / Stand
USB Cable
AV Output Cable
Camera Bag
Headset (Ear Buds)
Wrist Strap
User's Guide

Included Software:

Camera Manager
CyberLink Power Director Pro
ULead Photo Express SE
ULead Photo Explorer

Model IS-DV
Type Digital Camcorder

Digital Zoom 4x

Recording Media

Memory Card SD/ MMC Card
Recording Media Built-in SD Card Slot (Max. 1 GB) (Not Included)

Viewfinder Color EVF
LCD 1.8" LCD
Flash Built-in Flash Strobe with Red Eye Reduction
Still Image Size Hardware Resolution: 2560 x 1920 Pixels (5 Mega Pixel)
2048 x 1536 Pixels (3 Mega Pixel)
1280 x 960 Pixels (1.3 Mega Pixel)
Video Resolution: 640 x 480 Pixels (VGA) up to 30 fps
320 x 240 Pixels (QVGA) up to 30 fps
Audio Recording PCM digital sound
Connectors USB 2.0
Power Supply NP60 Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery, USB Port when Plugged into PC
Dimensions & Weight 3.86" x 2.57" x 1.28"

Features 6-in-1 Multi-Function Design:
Digital Still Camera, Digital Camcorder, MP3 Player, PC Camera, Digital Voice Recorder, and Removable Hard Disk
Image Format: JPEG, MPEG-4
White Balance: 5 Modes (Auto/Sunny/Cloudy/Fluorescent/Tungsten)
Speaker: Built-in Speaker and Headset Connector for MP3 and Movie Playback

I have been hearing the best out there for cheap is Digilife? Which model? I am utterly clueless guys! PLEASE HELP!
rainums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:46 PM   #2

I just saw this camera for possibly low $100 range, it is used (with no warranty/returns)so I'm hesitant. Tell me what you think:

Sanyo Xacti VPC-C5 Digital Movie Camera /G3/
This item has been opened and used. This item was tested, in does work.

[align=left]Sanyo Xacti C5 - Key features
• Video MPEG 4 Format (VGA 640x480 at 30 fps)
• 5.1 Megapixel (effective), 10 Megapixel interpolated
• 5x optical zoom
• 12x digital zoom
• 16 bit/48 kHz audio quality, two-channel stereo sound, MPEG-4 audio format
• Integrated image stabilizer
• Dual Shot function allows 5 Megapixel photo capture during video recording
• Webcam for Internet image transfers and online video/image conferences
• MSN or NetMeeting functions
• Lithium-ion rechargeable for 60 minutes of continuous recording
• Docking station [/align]

• [/*]Power adapter

• [/*]USB cable

• [/*]AV cable

• [/*]Docking station

• [/*]Shoulder strap

• [/*]Case

• [/*]Lense cap

• [/*]RC unit

• [/*]Cable adapter

• [/*]Software

• [/*]Manual
This item has a few scratches due to normal use.

[align=left]No Warranty or Returns[/align]
[align=center]********************************** [/align]
rainums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:10 PM   #3

Welcome rainums

your questions are excellent for this forum and need to understand a few things.

We may tell youwhat we think may be best, but I recomend you do the following

Research the pages in here, if you do not you'll wind up dissappointed.

The sanyo (fisher) c5 100 grab it but beware the defects it may have if the ebayer is hiding info????????? excellent camera for 600.00 new and down to 300 plus

A digital camera should have a true 4-5 meg and a 5 optical. you'll never upgrade for a newer one again.

a camcorder should have a 10x minum optical and 25x optical with digital to total 700 is priceless, as wel las a digital camera feature 2 meg is perfect for stills, a dv tape is becoming standard. and really low in price and a dvd mini is what we need to look at

Now all that said why we get these small gadgets , toys or hybrids. they fit in your pocket, and grab a excellent outdoor snap or vid. anything else would be a fair gameshot or vid.

any Indoor activity or low light may not be suited for these hybrids

the Is-dv Mustek 5300. or digilife 810 are perfect cameraas all have stabilization (correct me if I am wrong research on stabilization for the 810)

The aiptek higher end mpvr has a av imput as well as the digilife v100 as the newest m12 by mustek ( correct me again if I am wrong on the av imput)

Any hybrid will again give you a video that can be viewed by a pc and as well as a tv set and burned to a disk for later watching, the digital zoom is out the door the worst feature of the camera

so In my own personal opinion a hybrid iswel wrth the money foragain taking video anywhere anytime. a camcorder is the better choice. and cannot be left hanging aloneata job it will get stolen but my hybridis with me while working and not a problem that all said Research
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:59 PM   #4

i think the microtek mv500(130)or svp 1206(130) or i perric camp 34(200) are the best under 200

need camcorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:49 PM   #5

I've been looking at the Mustek 12M and posted a few days ago, but I'm still confused as to whether it has TV input recording. It says it is a PMP, but it's not very descriptive. Does anybody truly know? Cuz if it DOES, it's for a great price on amazon for about $180 and will be arriving mid-March.
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 6:11 AM   #6

portable media player that tells all it should be a av(audeo video input. any input will play into the camera. if says so.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:15 AM   #7

I'm in the same boat as you, trying to find a good camera. Just wondering tho - when recording video (like a camcorder) do the other cameras produce picture quality equivallent to the C5?

My thing is that the i like the video quality from the c5, but it lacks features of a PMP.

any help would be appreciated
aijuswannasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 6:20 AM   #8

you can't always get what you want, but you try sonmetime

a song title by the Rolling stones MIc Jagger. hope I am right?

the C5 hands down got an optical zoom. I take that over pmp anytime, but theprice OUCH! I would get a camcorder if I spend that money, and I would have the option to record tv anyway with the camcorder?

thecanon and Jvc are excellent camcoders 20-32x optical and they start without a remote and light and work their way up 50.00 more for t he extras.

but having a mpvr or 12m or 9300 etc fits in the Tee shirt pocket and a snap to take out and film.

I can go on and on but only get jealous of not having a camcorder oneday I will breakdown and get one