Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Sep 27, 2006, 6:45 AM   #1

A work collegue has asked me to find her a scanner that can scan photo's, 35mm neg's and all the usual things but more specifically can scan transparencies in larger photo formats like 6x4, 5x4, 10x8 (Basically A4).

Is there an affordable product on the market as i've just spent half the day researching and am having little luck, with the expception of the HP Transparency Adapter (but i'm not sure this will do the job).

Cost is also a factor as i work for a charity so don't have very deep pockets .

Thanks in advance James
JamesClements is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:30 PM   #2

Depends on what your defenition of "affordable" is. If you want a quality film scanner, Epson has come out with a the first flatbed that functions as well as a film scanner.

The Epson V700 and V750 scanners are suitable to replace a dedicated film scanner. They will handle 4x5 and 8x10.

For 35mm and medium format, you can get 4800 dpi at a bit depth of about 4.0. That's enough to capture the detail in pretty much any film.

For 4x5 and 8x10, you can't scan at those high resolutions, but you can scan at high enough resolution to produce poster size prints.

They are not cheap, but they're the most affordable scanners that can perform as well as dedicated film scanners.
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:31 PM   #3

I have several film and flatbed scanners (I own a small film scanning business).

As far as large film pieces go I like the results from my MicroTek i900 it does not scan from the top like most TMA type scanners and the results are awesome also comes with colorcalibration software and good tools.

For smaller pieces of film My Nikon 9000 and 5000 cannot be beat.

Kevin
KevinWiebe is offline   Reply With Quote