Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:46 PM   #1

Default What do you look for in a scanner?

I am thinking about getting a scanner. Don't know anything about them. What do I look for if I want to scan images. I am about to get a ton of old b&w photos that belonged to my mother. I would like to put them on cds for family members. In addition, we have lots of color snapshots, a few of which I would like to scan and edit.

Thanx,

Ron

PS: this is a great site.
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:52 PM   #2

I should add that I would like any suggestions for brands and models, and of course, I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Thanx,

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:59 PM   #3

As a general rule, the higher the DPI rating (optical) the better. Watch out for "interpolated" resolution. This is like digital zoom on a camera, it is NOT the true resolution. Get at least 600 DPI optical resolution.

I've only owned two scanners. My first was a low end UMAX. It was OK, finally died after a few years. I replaced it with an Epson 1250 Photo. The photo refers to the transparency scanner that comes with i for scanning slides and negatives. This is a MUCH better scanner. You get what you pay for.

Epson has closeouts and refurbed scanners on their site. You should be able to get a nice scanner for what you need for $100 or less.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote