Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Oct 26, 2006, 9:19 PM   #1

I'm trying to decide what to purchase...a new scanner that willscan both35mm slides and negatives as well as documents from time to timeand a separate printer or "an all-in-one" printer that will both scan slides and film as well as print. I I'd like to stay in the $300-$400.00drange for both printer and scanner combined or the single printer/scanner combo. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to be able to make good 8x10 prints...at least on occasion of some of my old slides. aI have been looking at the Canon MP960 in particular and wonder if that would give similar quality scans to a $150.00 scanner and similarly pricedprinter????

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jackie
jackiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2007, 5:00 PM   #2

I have similar interests. I have an older HP Photosmart 1115 printer and an Epson Scanner that I've had for quite a while. The MP960 seems to offer better print quality and a higher resulolution scanner. I'd like to hear from anyone who has one.

Rob

Robmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 6:59 PM   #3

The MP960 looks like a great all-round machine. What you can't duplicate is the versatility of having a large pigmented black tank for general purpose printing plus a 6 color photo printer. You usually have to choose between having the large pigmented black tank or having photo magenta and cyan.

4800 PPI optical is plenty for scanning slides and negatives. It is a CCD scanner and not a CIS like they put on some of their cheaper machines.

I don't think you can duplicate it in separate components for the price. I've always preferred to get separate components for quality and the ability to replace an individual unit if something goes wrong. But Canon seems to have done a very good job with that unit.

Read Steve's review if you haven't yet.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:33 PM   #4

Sowhat's the difference between the CIS scanner and a CCD scannner? I know what CCD's aqre and am familiar with CMOS image sensors, but haven't heard of a CIS? Is this something unique to Canon?

By the way, I agree with you about the combination of features that the MP960 has. I was originally just looking for a printer with really good quality photo printing but still fast enough to use for SOHO use and felt duplexing would be important (my Photosmart 11154 has it.) The MP960 while pricy looks pretty good.

Rob

Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:09 AM   #5

A bit late, but I just saw this thread — this may help:-

Contact Image Sensor — Abbreviated as CIS, a type of optical flatbed scanner that does not use the traditional CCD arrays that rely on a system of mirrors and lenses to project the scanned image onto the arrays. CIS scanners gather light from red, green and blue LEDs (which combine to provide white light) and direct the light at the original document being scanned. The light that is reflected from the original is gathered by a lens and directed at an image sensor array that rests just under the document being scanned. The sensor then records the images according to the intensity of light that hits the sensor. A CIS scanner is more compact than a CCD scanner and can be used in smaller products than CCD scanning technologies. CIS scanners also require less power than CCD scanners and often can run off battery power or the power from a USB port. CCD scanners, however, provide higher-resolution scans.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:52 AM   #6

Thanks! I was wondering what a CIS sensor was. It sounds like it's similar to a CCD but probably less expensive. Are CCDs considered to have better performance or are they about the same?

Rob

Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:50 PM   #7

For scanning documents CIS scanners are fine. Canon seems to be the only company that is getting decent quality out of CIS scanners, but even the Canon version is slower and doesn't have the gamma range.

Other than speed and color quality limitations you have no depth of field with CIS. That isn't as important anymore with everyone having digital cameras. But you can't very well make records of your valuables with a CIS scanner like you can with CCD.

CCD scanners are cheap enough there is no reason to get CIS unless you need portability or are really pressed for space.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:38 AM   #8

I have all in one (include jet printer) and laser printer. I choose this combination and think it's best.
kirkil is offline   Reply With Quote