Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:56 PM   #1

Hi,

I have a Microtek 4900 flatbed scanner with the light adapter.(it is a few years old, but I don'treally wantto replace it at this time) It does a really good job on images and a pretty good job on slides. I have just started to scan my B&W negs but they are coming out very noisy especially in the lighter areas of the picture.

Most of it can be taken care of in PS but is very time consuming. Any advice on what settings to use or other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Mugmar

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2006, 6:52 PM   #2

I have the same scanner and the film and transparency attachment really sucks. I threw it away. I wasn't comparing it to my dedicated film scanner but with other scanners with lightlids and film adapters.

The adapter evidently uses some sort of magnetic drive to run the light across. It just doesn't work well compared to other flatbeds.

Even with my dedicated film scanner I get accentuated grain, especially in higher ISO film. The grain isn't as apparent with slides for some reason. Neat Image has a demo that doesn't expire and is considered freeware. Give it a try. I find noise reduction software works for grain as well.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:23 PM   #3

Thank you for your comments slipe. I'm glad it was not me:roll:. Short of buying a dedicated unit (which is not in the budget for now) do you have any tips to reduce the noise. I do have neat image and photo-shop. combined they do a pretty good job reducing this, but is very time consuming.

I guess I'm looking for the easy way do get it done:blah:Thank you for any help

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:31 PM   #4

If you have the Neat Image plug-in you can make an action in Photoshop. You should probably sort out the photos according to the ASA of the film as the Neat Image settings will vary with the ASA of the film. If all the film is the same ASA you should be able to batch them all at once.

With the Neat Image demo you can't batch. You might try batching in Photoshop with various settings in smart blur. It works pretty well for noise and grain without doing too much damage to edges. Better yet would be to find your edges, inverse the selection and apply smart blur in an action you could batch.

There are some fairly inexpensive flatbeds that will do a nice job - primarily from Epson. You will still have the grain. A dedicated film scanner actually accentuates the grain a little more because of the concentrated light source.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote