Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:03 AM   #1

I finally decided to invest in a scanner to get 40+ years of photos, negs & slides digitized. Bought LCD frames for my mom & my in-laws and they have photos they would like to display there as well.

After research, decided the 9950F offered all that I was looking for. Unfortunately, I can't find one to buy. Canon's USA website shows it as a current product but it is unavailable on the Canon estore site. No retailers nor etailers have them in stock. A single unit offered on Amazon sounds fishy and is offered way over MSRP, never mind lower street prices.

I called 800-OK-CANON and spoke to a supervisor there. He was very helpful but could only acknowledge that they unit has been on "backorder" for some time and there is no ETA on availability. He suggested NOT putting in a backorder though he would not commit that the unit was out of production. He did "hint" that Canon usually introduces new products early in the calendar year but would not give me a "wink" that a replacement for the 9950 was coming.

He did consult with their "technicians" who came back and suggested I might be satisfied with a 8600F. Interesting suggestion but I have not looked at the 8600 so I don't know what I am giving up with that unit versus a 9950 or successor. The Compare feature on Canon's site is useless.

So, anyone hear any rumors on either the discontinuation or upgrade of the 9950?

Conversely, for scanning prints, negs and slides (figure 60%, 30% & 10% usage) for use in LCD frames, archiving and prints up to 8x10, will I be satisfied with the 8600? I am an amatuer and have no commercial use for the photos nor will I be making 20"+ enlargements from the digitized images.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
flyangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:27 AM   #2

There are always 9950F's on eBay, new or used. A place in Florida has 5 of them right now, and the bidding on one up for auction has almost reached their price.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote