Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Mar 3, 2007, 1:28 PM   #1

I had no idea what to buy to scan in my color negatives and the occasional photo so I ended up with the new Canon 8600F scanner. I am at a complete loss as what settings and resolution to scan at.

I am looking to match (if possible) the image quality of of 10 MP shot without creating outrageously and needlessly large files.

Any tips?

Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2007, 7:32 AM   #2

Probably too late for you, but I'd start with a resolution of 2400 and work from there.

I'm not familiar with the Canon scanning software, but it should pretty much lead you by the hand for the other settings.

You might care to check if the 8600f is supported by Vuescan (www.hamrick.com) — it supports a wide range of negative and positive colour film and gives better results than the 'one size fits all' approach of most flatbed software.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:46 AM   #3

Your scanner's optical resolution is 4800 PPI and you will actually get some improvement with fine grain film and slides up to that resolution. A good scanner site suggests a compromise of 3200 PPI as being very close to full resolution in quality but with smaller file sizes and faster scans. Under no circumstances scan over 4800 as you are just interpolating, which can be done a lot better and faster on your computer.

It takes a little longer for each scan, but turn FARE on. It will save you a lot of work later.

My philosophy has always been to do it once and archive for whatever purposes I want to use the scan for. Others will scan at lower qualities like 2400 or even less for small prints etc to save time and space. And then rescan if necessary for special jobs like large prints. Part of my reason for the higher scan quality is so I have a permanent backup for my film and slides.

Even if you scan at 4800 you probably aren't going to get the detail you would get from a 10Mp DSLR unless you were using Velvia pro film. The best series of tests I've seen concluded that good ASA 100 film is about equivalent to a 6Mp DSLR image in detail. Kodak said about the same thing a few years back. ASA 400 film like you use in many P&S cameras is probably around 4Mp. Those tests kept the film completely in the chemical process and compared prints, so they didn't account for any loss caused by scanning.

If you have any ASA 400 film to scan you will probably want to look into noise reduction software if you don't already have any. I use a dedicated film scanner with a concentrated light source that really accentuates grain, but even a flatbed seems to accentuate it more than one would like.

I second the suggestion to try Vuescan. The Canon driver isn't as competent as the Epson advanced driver. You might read about it here – I think it is the same driver as yours: http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...50F/page_1.htm

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 9:42 AM   #4

Just found a new book in our library "Scanning Negatives and Slides" by Sascha Steinhoff. Check it out. Tons of information and well organized. Might help you. It helped me.
Gary Arco is offline   Reply With Quote