Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jul 17, 2003, 1:58 PM   #1

Default Calibrating Costco

Theres a Costco near me that does Prints from digital files for $0.19 a print! THe problem with Costo, and everyone else I've tried, is what you see is not what you get. The prints seam lighter, and less contrasty that what I see on my screen or on my printer. I would like to calibrate there printer.

What Im thinking is to print an standard test print, scan it, and produce some sort of profile to apply to my image files to counter act there errors.

Does anyone know how to do this in photoshop? Preferable Photoshop elements?

My scanner is a Canon LIDE 30
LVJCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2003, 3:50 PM   #2

is your screen calibrated?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 3:50 PM   #3

It is nearly impossible to get a printer to exactly duplicate what you see on the screen. I have an Epson Photo 1270 and the prints have always been darker than the screen. I finally took some time recently to tweak the driver settings to get it close and saved that as a profile. There is no standard for monitors, since each person adjusts them differently. I have a 17" LCD flat panel display which is extremely sharp.

You can buy standard color charts at your professional photo supply store. They are somewhat expensive. Shoot a picture of one of those outdoors in sunlight.. When you print the image, it should match the original chart exactly, but it won't. You can tweak the camera settings or adjust the image settings using PSP or Photoshop but you are still not going to get exactly what you want using a public printer in a store.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote