Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old May 9, 2008, 9:59 PM   #11

I would love to find one. I bought the Epson V500 with the attachable APF lid and the APF worked great but the scanned images had red and green lines in them no matter how much I wiped off the scan feeder (clear plastic thing instead of glass).
laurae68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:10 PM   #12

If you have A LOT of photos and you are good with computers, the best and easiest scanner for this task is the Kodak i1200. While they are not soldinretail stores, you can getone online for around $600-700.However, if you have less than 3,000 photos or don't have the time to fiddle around, it just makes more sense at this point to go with some service.Even better if you find one thathas some editing process rather than an automatedscan and mail service.If a service charges 20 cents each, you could have 3,000 photos scanned already without having to take out the time toget used tothe new software and hardware, as well as the still significant time for scanning. While the i1200 is rated to 30 a minute,the process is slowed significantly by jamming. But overall it does the job well.

Though many companiesoffer mail-inservices for the job,I personally would look locally.You don't want them lost.

Here in Chicagothere's a nice place called The Digital Convert (www.TheDigitalConvert.com) that does the scanning, as well as some editing. One benefit there is you get albums scanned pretty cheap without having to remove all the photos. Anyway, there's a lot of places. As long as the prices are under a quarter each (not Walgreens, CVSor something) and they don't mail your photos elsewhere, it's a better value than doing it yourself with a snazzy machine.

JP25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:40 PM   #13

More on the different scanners...

If you do go ahead and buy a $600 Kodak machine, you will inevitably notice a common issue with scanner feeders. One speck of dust on the glass strip will cause a red/green line to go across the entire image. This is different from a flatbed where the speck only blocks light in a tiny spot. With a feeder, the scanner won't seeANY part ofthe image that passes over it. The only way to avoid this is to constantly watch the output images for such lines. You will need to have a soft lens clothmoistenedwithammonia-free glass cleaner to wipethe glassclean. NEVER SPRAY DIRECTLY ON THE UNIT!

This fact is why the service mentioned early onin the threadprobably will not offer the best quality.There's no way they'd get through 5,000 photos inone day [from each customer, mind you] if theyactually checked each photo for lines and other issues.It seems likea rough and tumble, 'toss it in the copy machine' and you get what you get.But if you just want to share the things online and it doesn't need to be perfect they might be fine - if you're willing to actually entrust your 1,000+ photos to the mail orare local to them.

I should also mentionthat it's important to use a feeder with a STRAIGHT PAPER PATH.This would include Fujitsu and Kodak (more user friendly). If you use a multipurpose SCAN/FAX/PRINT unit you'll have a U-shaped path. Imagine what will happen when your photo jams in there! You don't want something that is bending your photos too much. Anything that involves too much manhandling of the photo is liable to cause scratching or other damage to the original. This is especially the case if the photo is on the thick side and doesn't easily bend.

JP25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 11:49 AM   #14

I am also look for a auto feed photo scanner. Have you had any luck? If so, what kind did you find?
kimsueparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 9:22 PM   #15

I saw a photo scanner on HSN and decided to price it myself..Panadigital 4x6 scanner..some people love it some don't..If you try it please let me know if its worth it. I have a ton of 4x6 pictures to scan..It wont scan the 5x7 though..
squeakyclean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:24 PM   #16

Hi All -

I have been advised that an

Avision AV121 will be a good document scanner for the Job.

Has anyone heard of this scanner or have any thoughts?

Cheers,

dvespa.
dvespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:17 AM   #17

I've been looking for a screen with automatic photo feeder as well.

It seems like the Kodak s1220 Photo Scanning System only offers 600 dpi optical resolution, which is same as document scanners like Fujitsu ScanSnap or Epson GT-S50 or Epson GT-S80.

Epson used to offer Perfection 2480 Limited Edition (now discontinued) which includes an automatic photo/business card feeder. They still offer Multi Photo/Business Card Feeder accessory for certain scanners. The optical resolution from Epson's offering is similar to HP Scanshot 5530 mentioned earlier (now discontinued).

Has anyone have any experience with Epson's Photo/Business Card Feeder?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:53 AM   #18

There is the Kodak s1220 Photo Scanning System, 30 4x6 inch prints per minute at 300dpi - priced more for the photo shop looking to enter the scanning market however (list $1,795.00) CDW has a pretty decent price ont his though....$1,563.99
simrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 9:57 PM   #19

I'd recommend the NeatDesk Desktop Scanner. It is a scanner that works the way I want an automatic photo scanner should.

Of course, I've not tried other scanners so I could not make comparisons. But, again, as far as I'm concerned, NeatDesk works pretty good enough for me.
dartagnanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:21 PM   #20

Default Scan Easy

I read your question and some of the comments about photo scanning. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Heritage Makers. Heritage Makers is an on-line scrapbooking, home publishing company that also provides an amazing and affordable scanning service. With hundreds of consultants nationwide, scanning can literally be at your door step. Most consultants use the Kodak s1200 with an autofeeder. It is pricey but comes with all the software you need. If the idea of this expense is a bit much, the consultants provide a cost effective service. From .39 per picture up to 100, .29 up to 499 and .39 per picture for over 500 scans.

They also provide an online storage system which allows you to create books, posters, calendars, cards, scrapbooks and much more right from your desktop. Their preimer service is a great way to save your pictures safely along with the side benefits of hundreds of clipart, backgrounds, quotes and templates to help you create a professional result. Check out www.heritagemakers.com . They'll help you find a consultant where you live. Even better, become one.
Amy Schouten is offline   Reply With Quote