Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:55 PM   #21

Default Old Combo Still Works

Epson still has the Multi Photo Feeder available new at their online store (albeit for $150):

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/P...59604&category=

And I was able to purchase a factory refurbished 2480 on ebay from a seller named compuvest_corp (according to the auction they still have many available):

http://cgi.ebay.com/EPSON-PERFECTION...item19b80d9100

The refurb scanner came in Epson packaging with everything I needed. So far I've only scanned about 150 pics, but its working perfectly. I doubt I will ever use the scanner for anything high-res, but for capturing photos, it's adequate. You just load a stack of photos, 1 button click in the GUI and it numbers them for you automatically. I'm just hoping it holds up for the next 3000 photos or so
bigtotoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 3:21 PM   #22

Default Epson multiphoto feeder

I have both a Epson Perfection 3490 and the multiphoto feeder. I have scanned between 2000 and 3000 photos with this setup, the feeder works by using a fan to suck the photo against a rubber conveyor belt faceing the flatbed then it returns the photo to the stack just as if you had done it by hand on the flatbed. As I understand it most ADF's scan several lines then move the page to scan the complete document, the Epson multiphoto feeder delivers the whole photo to the bed, and the returns it to the output stack. I think this delivers a more accurate scan than the other type. Also I think it can scan at maximum resolution of 3200dpi , I never have scanned at that resolution because the file would be huge and it would take forever and 800dpi easily outpaces my old photos, the only other quip's are it will only scan 4X6 and below , and it jams if the photos are in bad shape such as frayed edges or folds. When I scan clean 4x6's it only jams maybe once every 150 photos, but you have to add more photos every 5 to 10 minutes or so because it only holds about 25. Anyway that has been my experience with it, feel free to ask me questions.
jd00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:41 AM   #23

Default Free photo scanning

I saw free photo scanning at snaphaven.com. The catch: it looks like you need to buy a subscription. Still cheaper than anything else I've seen.
rumsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:21 AM   #24

I recently came across this post as one of the top search results in Google for photo scanners.

Some quick updates for others that may be looking through this post...

The Kodak s1220 has been retired by Kodak. It has been replaced by what they call the "Kodak Picture Saver Scanning System" (currently the PS410, PS810, and PS450). The rollers are improved over the s1220, along with some software improvements. They scan at up to 600 dpi (optical) and are significantly faster than flatbeds. As other commenters have noted, dust will still cause streaks. You have to keep them clean every 20-25 photos or so if you want optimal quality results.

Speed comparison video: Flatbed vs Kodak Picture Saver Scanning System

Video: The PS410 and PS810 have about the same throughput at 600 dpi. The PS810 is a little bit faster.

Video: At 300 dpi, the PS810 is a LOT faster than the PS410. Its software also has the benefit of being able to acquire as lossless TIFF.

There are companies out there that both sell and rent Kodak photo print scanners for do-it-yourselfers. Google is your friend on this one, or just check through Kodak directly to find a reseller. The Kodak photo scanners can also be used for scanning documents to PDF, TIFF, or other formats when not in use as a photo scanner.

If you are scanning film (slides/negatives), I'd recommend the Nikon CoolScan 5000. It's discontinued, but you can usually find them on eBay. Convert your collection, and then sell the machine. The demand is high enough for them that you usually won't lose much other than your time in scanning. Slides and negatives are much slower to scan than prints; they tend to take about 1-2 minutes each. The CoolScan 4000 is also an excellent machine, but it is getting a bit dated for support. Both the 4000 and the 5000 will support auto-feed slide adaptors, which is extremely handy. Epson makes some nice film scanner flatbeds as well, but I tend to prefer the quality off of the Nikons.

Hope the updated information helps, and happy scanning!
dmealo is offline   Reply With Quote