Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:24 PM   #1

When you're scanning the top of a cd or dvd (disc label) how do you scan them so your finished scan covers the whole area of the disc, when I try to scan them my scans don't end up covering the whole disc leaving a white ring? After I've scanned them they look fine until I put them in my CD Label Print or Acoustica so I can print them on a backup disc but that's when I notice they don't cover the whole surface. I usually fine labels online but sometimes they don't have one for my cd or dvd.
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:59 PM   #2

mccoady says: After I've scanned them they look fine until I put them in my CD Label Print or Acoustica so I can print them on a backup disc but that's when I notice they don't cover the whole surface.

So, the scan itself seems to come out okay, it's just when you go to print the label that the result is too small.

Do the label printing programs you use have any sort of resolution preference?

For example, say that you scan a CD label at 150ppi (pixels per inch) at 100%, but your label printing software defaults to 300ppi for printing. If the software does not use any interpolation, it may well double the resolution of your scan (to reach the 300ppi target resolution) and so halve the printed image size. You'd get a final image file that was 300ppi at 50% size going to the printer.

Not knowing your software, I can't say exactly what is going on, but it sounds like it's something like this.

In theory, if you scan something at "X" ppi at 100% and printer uses the image file at "X" ppi at 100% to make the print, then the printout should have the same physical dimensions as the original scanned object. It looks to me like the scan is not being outputted to the printer at the proper dimensions either due to improper scanner output settings or the proper settings from the scanner are being changed by the printing software.

What you need to do is make sure that the resolution and document size settings on the scanner agree with the output settings the printing software is using.

Sorry that these aren't precise instructions, but each scanner handles this stuff a little differently and I don't know your labeling software.

Feel free to inquire further if this doesn't make enough sense to you!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:08 PM   #3

In acoustica, can u not change the diameter of the disk by a couple of mm? (edit paper/printer templates)

That should eliminate the white ring around the edges.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote