Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1

Can some one recommend some high res scanners that can also scan color slide transparancies?

I heard this one fromEpson is good...

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/...p;oid=60351786

Any others worth considering?

Thanks
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:49 PM   #2
NHL

Why are you buying a flatbed scanner to scan film?
IMO you'll be much better off to get a dedicated film scanner which are now quite affordable...

-> An analogy here is getting a video camera to shoot still pictures :O
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 5:40 PM   #3

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Why are you buying a flatbed scanner to scan film?
IMO you'll be much better off to get a dedicated film scanner which are now quite affordable...

-> An analogy here is getting a video camera to shoot still pictures :O
My answer is....Why not? I mean the only reason you'd want to buy a Nikon CoolScan would be to scan other film formats other than 35mm negative/slide.

And before the Epson mentioned I suppose most typical flatbed scanners couldn't do 4000 dpi scans.

Recommendations? The Nikon scanners aren't cheap.

http://www.adencamera.com/index.asp?Category=26

The Epson is $250.00 CAD MSRP. High res. And will allow me to scan other media besies film.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:58 PM   #4

IMO, The V500 is a very nice unit for the $$$$$.You can't do the volume like the Coolscan.It takes awhile longer to do Bulk jobs.But it has holders for several Formats of film/Slides and I have not had any problems in 600+ scans. Like everything else built today,theres alot of Plastic so you can't abuse it without Breakage..........

My 2%
John52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:03 PM   #5

John52 wrote:
Quote:
IMO, The V500 is a very nice unit for the $$$$$.You can't do the volume like the Coolscan.It takes awhile longer to do Bulk jobs.But it has holders for several Formats of film/Slides and I have not had any problems in 600+ scans. Like everything else built today,theres alot of Plastic so you can't abuse it without Breakage..........

My 2%
Thanks for posting your opinion and experience. I might get it. Since I do plan to use to to scan more than film. And I'm not sure spending the $ for a Coolscan is really worth it to be honest. Being a hobbyist. I think the Coolscans can only do 6 frame negatives at a time. And I think one model, the flagship, can do 5 slides at once. For $2300.00 CAD? Hmmm...

I might be dabling in film again for the fun of it. Which is why I started this thread. I might not. Who knows.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:21 PM   #6

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Nikonian thru & thru, But on a Beer Buget.I have ALOT of old film my dad shot (He was a Navy Photgographer way back when) and it gonna take foever to scan all of them.But I shopped all the stores for close to a year and read all of the reveiws, they all steered me to Epson V500 or 700.(Mo Money):-)
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:15 PM   #7

John52 wrote:
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Nikonian thru & thru, But on a Beer Buget.I have ALOT of old film my dad shot (He was a Navy Photgographer way back when) and it gonna take foever to scan all of them.But I shopped all the stores for close to a year and read all of the reveiws, they all steered me to Epson V500 or 700.(Mo Money):-)
And you didn't really want the V750 M Pro???
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:39 PM   #8

So Bad I Could taste it,But I've already mentioned the size of my Budget......:>)
Old Apr 12, 2008, 2:05 AM   #9

Having 3 Minolta dual scanners and versions 2 and 3, plus 3 Epson flatbeds 4870, rx 520, rx 620. I compared them for quality prints. The first thing is the Minoltas are 35mm only and the Epson 4870 all sizes. To get the Minoltas to equal the Epson you have to go thru a routine of auto or manual focus etc. I do not use the Minoltas much now as the Epson suits me fine
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote