Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Mar 22, 2008, 1:26 AM   #1

I have a bunch of slides that I want to digitalize and electronic scanners seem like the way to go.

Has anyone had any experience with any of the following:
  • Canon CanoScan 4400 Color Image Scanner (Cheapest and largest) - [glow=aqua]I don't think I want a flat bed scanner[/glow] [/*]
  • Minolta DiMage Scan Elite 5400 Film and Slide Scanner (Most high priced) [/*]
  • Plustec Optifilm 7200 Film Scanner (Mid priced and midsized)
I have seen them on E-Bay (new and used) and would bid on one if I knew if it was any good and if I knew what a fair price would be for a used one.

Please advise:
[/*]
  • Any experience you may have had with any of these [/*]
  • What you think of the model(s) [/*]
  • What you think would be a good price if used. [/*]
  • Is there something better ?
    [/*]
I think I am leaning toward the Plustek because of cost and size.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:35 AM   #2

I also have about 3000 slides and 1000 color negs that I'd like to scan to digital. I have done some reading and found that what you pay for is what you get to a large degree. Cheap can mean slow (minutes per slide) or low quality which is anything from color accuracy to removing scratches and dust. Even though the Nikon line is very high priced it appears to offer the best overall performance. However it is difficult to understand their pricing. Why is the 9000ed priced at $2000 and the 5000ed at $1000? What justifies the difference? THeir literature sure doesn't help. And why are the prices on E-bay higher than list? Are these products on allocation due to sales being higher than production capability? Inquiring minds want to know!

The way I am going to justify the price of whatever I choose is to go in with about 6 friends to purchase the best product and then when we are done, sell it on e-bay and split the proceeds. Scanning slides and negatives is such a needed service! The quality of the these treasures is degrading by the day. It is time for "Steve" to review the current batch of products, make some sense of it and give us some data to make intelligent decisions about what to buy. Excuse my bias, but another camera review isso ho-hum. Can you hear me, can you hear me now?

RussbIdaho
russbidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:53 PM   #3

Dave Smith wrote:
Quote:
Canon CanoScan 4400 Color Image Scanner (Cheapest and largest) - I don't think I want a flat bed scanner
Minolta DiMage Scan Elite 5400 Film and Slide Scanner (Most high priced)
Plustec Optifilm 7200 Film Scanner (Mid priced and midsized)I have seen them on E-Bay (new and used) and would bid on one if I knew if it was any good and if I knew what a fair price would be for a used one.
The only one of those I've any experience of is the Minolta. My experiences have been all good.
I think the Canon is probably in a much lower league, but have no proof. The Plustec seems to have its supporters but I draw you attention to this quote from a review -

"To scan, you mount up to four slides (or a strip of film) in a carrier and slide the carrier into a slot on the scanner's side. One cut corner that helps keep the price down is that there is no mechanism to move the carrier through the scanner automatically. Instead, you have to position it by hand for each image. This can get tiresome compared with most film scanners, but it's still easier than positioning slides in a typical flatbed scanner."

I guess it boils down to how much you're prepared to spend. Of the 3 you mentioned, the Minolta even though it's discontinued still attracts a fair price second hand.
You might do better investigating an Epson flatbed - anything from the 3200 up to the V700 - they get better as they get newer and the V700/V750 (same scanner, different extras) is very close to being on a par with a Nikon Coolscan V.
I have an Epson 3200 as well as a Scan Dual IV and if I wanted to replace it I think I'd go for an Epson 4990 or 4870 since the V700/V750 is perhaps still a little too expensive for me.
TonySx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:28 PM   #4

russbidaho wrote:
Quote:
I also have about 3000 slides and 1000 color negs that I'd like to scan to digital. I have done some reading and found that what you pay for is what you get to a large degree. Cheap can mean slow (minutes per slide) or low quality which is anything from color accuracy to removing scratches and dust. Even though the Nikon line is very high priced it appears to offer the best overall performance. However it is difficult to understand their pricing. Why is the 9000ed priced at $2000 and the 5000ed at $1000? What justifies the difference? THeir literature sure doesn't help. And why are the prices on E-bay higher than list? Are these products on allocation due to sales being higher than production capability? Inquiring minds want to know!

The way I am going to justify the price of whatever I choose is to go in with about 6 friends to purchase the best product and then when we are done, sell it on e-bay and split the proceeds. Scanning slides and negatives is such a needed service! The quality of the these treasures is degrading by the day. It is time for "Steve" to review the current batch of products, make some sense of it and give us some data to make intelligent decisions about what to buy. Excuse my bias, but another camera review isso ho-hum. Can you hear me, can you hear me now?

RussbIdaho
I'm in a similar position with around 8000 images to scan. I'm looking at http://digmypics.com as a scanning service, but it's expensive so I'm also looking at film scanners. From what I can tell, there are two differences between the Nikon 5000 ed and the 9000 ed.
-The 9000 can handle multiple film formats while the 5000 only does 35 mm film/slides.
-The 9000 has a 3-CCD sensor while the 5000 has a 2-CCD sensor.

Amazon has the 9000 in stock but requires 1-3 months for deliver. The 5000 is out of stock. B&H is sold out on both.

I'm still not sure what to do, but I'd appreciate any insight and advice.

Thanks.

Steven

UPDATE: 6:28PM: I looked around a couple places and now am thinking I'll go with http://scancafe.com. They have the lowest prices and have good reviews online. digmypics has had a terrible fire so they are not an option now, but scancafe actually lists several competitors and their prices on their web site. Definitely seem like the best value--they offshore to a facility in India so it's cheaper, but it does take longer (at least a month per order), but they also let you discard any images you don't want (up to 50% of your total) so you only pay for the images you want.
StevenC_in_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:07 PM   #5

I have had two or three lower cost scanners, all bad experience. I have gone to my digital camera. Copy takes 1/10th of a second instead of a minute and color is much better. Build a stand with a light source below, or even use a small electronic flash for daylight source.
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote