Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:31 PM   #1

My mom has probably 5000 negatives that she would like to convert to digital format. Taking it somewhere to have it scanned will cost a fortune. However, my mom is not real savvy with this sort of thing. Would it be easy enough with a scanner such as the Nikon V for her to scan the negatives herself (on a Mac)?
capnamazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:37 PM   #2

Even for someone who is savvy, 5000 negatives is a respectable chore. Even if she got a scanner and learned to use it well enough to do the job, would she follow through?

I mean, 5000!

I read an editorial by John Owens in the December 2007 Popular Photography telling of his experience with a scanning service called ScanCafe.

They claim to scan each neg individually at 3000dpi on a Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED for 19 cents apiece. (24 cents for slides.) They give you DVD's of the scans.

John was impressed with the results. He said that the scans were as good as he could have done himself.

The bugger is that you have to trust all of your originals to the postal service.

If this sounds interesting, check them out at: www.scancafe.com

I have no experience with them, but if I ever decide to digitize my mother's old slides, I'll consider them.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote