Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:07 AM   #1

I've been using an Epson Perfection 1660 Photo scanner for 5 years now, but very recently the image quality seems fuzzy and some static appears too.
So it's time for something newer.

I'm having a hard time finding any information on how fast any of the newer scanners, scan.
  • Canon has nothing.[/*]
  • HP occasionally gives a preview scanning time... whoop-de-do.[/*]
  • Epson gives MSEC/line, but the 1660 rates as much-much faster than any Epson scanner makes today, some 5 years later... ?![/*]
So I'm looking for a flatbed scanner that can scan quickly, and can do good photo scans.

I'd like to be able to can scan objects too as the Epson 1660 can, (unlike the Brother DCP-7020), but it's not necessary.
Here's an example of a 1660 scan that shows
the objects (3D depth):

Currently I can scan an 8x10 photo @ 800 dpi in about 2 minutes (I'd like something similar or faster).
I also scan the occasional Negatives; I don't know the speed (it's slow).
I was looking in the $250 (Canadian) price range (take or give a little) and had been considering several Epson flatbed scanners.

But what to choose???

Let me know about your new scanner's speed and quality.

JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:31 PM   #2

This isn't an answer to your question, JH2007, just a few comments.

Do you use the defalt scanning software that came with your scanner? If so, maybe you should look at independent software? Many users claim that programs like Viewscan and Silverfast make their old scanner perform better -- so much better that they decide against getting new equipment. I think that Silverfast is pretty pricey, but I think that Viewscan is around $50.00.

One reason that you might find it hard to find speed ratings on scanners is that the scanner performance depends largely on the type of hardware used in the computer on which it's installed.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:42 PM   #3

I sometimes I used the default software but mostly it was the twain drivers in whatever graphics editor I was using.

Because the image quality suddenly degrades after about 5 minutes and stays that way it's probably just a bad cap.
And yes I can probally open it up and replace the capacitor in a hour or less, but I just figured that newer scanners would produce better quality images, and faster.

But I might have a go at Viewscan with whatever I endup using.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:13 AM   #4

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
....I think that Viewscan is around $50.00....
Do you mean Ed Hamrick's 'Vuescan' ( http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html)? I used it for many years with my filmscanner. It's excellent and $39.95 at present, and drives many scanners. I had lots of help from Ed Hamrick himself via a filmscanners message board years ago, and tried out some beta versions.

Unfortunately I no longer have my filmscanner after various upgrades, and Vuescan doesn't seen to drive my ancient HP Scanjet 4200C. The original HP software also works much less well under XP than it did under Win3.1 or 98SE.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 10:04 PM   #5

Hey Alan T, that link you posted might've helped answer 2 questions.

I take it that software-wise the HPs aren't so desireable, and the Canon scanner hardware isn't so hot either.
I'd hoped that things had changed after all these years and I'd have more options today...

And did it recommend these three as best high-end flatbed scanners:
Epson Perfection 4990/V700/V750 - fast, good quality

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/....jsp?oid=-8172

Now I'll admit the $550+ price tags on the V7xx scanners is more than I can afford (or desire to spend) at this time.
And so I've looked over the others specs and I see some technical diffs...

But how do these compare in real use? Is there a big difference between these two?
Epson Perfection 4490 Photo versus 4490 Office?
And to be fair I guess I'd like to know about the V500 Photo versus the 4490's.

Old May 7, 2008, 8:58 AM   #6

For what its worth, for all intents and purposes the V500 is the 4490 but with an instant on LED light source rather than the cold-cathode (like a fluorescent bulb)type that requires warmup in the 4490.

Both are excellent scanners and for office document purposes both can take a 30-page feeder. But the instant-on feature of the V500 makes it a tadmore desirablethan the 4490, IMHO.

My only caveat with these or other scanners is to NOT use them on a hub. My V500 constantly quit when scanningnegative stripsor slides after the first one or two scans. Scanner was "not found". Moreover, scans were s*l*o*w. I pulled it off the hub and plugged it directly into one of the computer'srear USB2.0 ports. It now scans quickly, easily, automatically, and problem free —and even using 4800dpi settings and the Digital ICE "quality" setting will do a single negative/slide image in well under 3 minutes.

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 9:22 PM   #7

Hello hgernhardtjr, you mention the two light sources, do they both give good scans of 3d objects (at depth), or is one type only for 2d flat scans (against the glass).
I prefer the option of 3d capable (like in my sample picture in the first post).

Nope, I don't use USB hubs. :G

Could you tell me about how long a 4x6 or 8x11 photo quality scan takes of paper photos?
Settings of 600 or 800 dpi, 48-bit colour photograph (and I understand the differences in timing based on some hardware and software settings can make).
PS. I've measured from the time I clicked scan to the time it's done the scan and I could click scan again.

Well eitherway thanks.

Old May 8, 2008, 7:22 AM   #8

I have not timed it, but at print-scan resolutions (mostly I scan negatives 12 at a timeand slides, and only occasionally photos) it is quite quick. Well under a minute for an 8x10, at least on my computer/scanner combination; I'd say closer to 15-20 seconds, possibly less.

Measured speed has not been an issue for me, as I let it do its work while I do something else when slide/negative scanning, and it is more than fast enough to not screw up my work flow when scanning photos or the very occasional document. The plus for me was not waiting for it to warm up as I had to do for my previous scanners.

As for 3D objects, I scanned my watch back when I first got the V500, and it did a good job but have never done that since. In fact, I have done that with all the scanners I have owned, since way back in the late 80s when they cost in excess of a grand and were built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Obviously, it is not going to sharply scan anything much over half an inch or so of depth, but things like screws, bolts, snap clips, should pose no problem. As far as I can tell the light source makes no difference in end results, other than the fact the V500 is instant on and the 4490 is not. So from start to first scan it is very fast for its price category.

Perhaps there is a store/dealer in your area who will let you try their demo model(s).
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote