Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:24 AM   #11

I recently imported this little 'scanner' from the US to Oz. I'm generally quite happy with it, but must emphasize that this is not for really high quality scanning. For the price it does well and doesn't have any of the software/installation problems that many cheap scanners do. It's quick and simple to use. I've scanned nearly a thousand slides and have generally been pleased with them. The unit is really just a simple 5 mp cmos camera with a fixed focus lens with white LEDs to illuminate the slide or negative. The exposure and color balance is fully automatic. Therefore it is at the mercy of how good the slide was in the first place. Have to be prepared to do quite a bit of post processing in Photoshop or similar to get the best results. Straight from the scanner the pics can look darkish, soft and the color balance is usually off favoring the red/brown end of the spectrum It seems weakest on greens but most pics come up pretty good after exposure comp. and color balancing.

It's fast, reliable, easy to use and great for doing large numbers of slides/negs mainly for memories and storage but a 'proper' film scanner or at least a top line flat bed scanner with film attachment would be a better but slower and more expensive choice. If you only have a small no of slides, better to get thenm done thru a photographic store.

Here's a 33 year old slide of my oldest kids (now grown up!) I hope it's attached!

Attached Images

Rob Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:04 PM   #12

In reading the reviews of the Wolverine F2D it seems people either like it or hate it. That tells me it is somewhere inbetween. The reviews at the Cosco site seem the same - either 5 stars or 1 star. From what I get out of all this is if you want something that will capture your slide images so you can tell you family about your life as a college kid this will work well. If you want to impress our friends with your photographic ability it might fall a bit short. After all, you are only parting with $100 bucks which is not much more than an evening out with your wife.
ghpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:04 PM   #13

In reading the reviews of the Wolverine F2D it seems people either like it or hate it. That tells me it is somewhere inbetween. The reviews at the Cosco site seem the same - either 5 stars or 1 star. From what I get out of all this is if you want something that will capture your slide images so you can tell you family about your life as a college kid this will work well. If you want to impress our friends with your photographic ability it might fall a bit short. After all, you are only parting with $100 bucks which is not much more than an evening out with your wife.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:31 PM   #14

ghpots wrote:
Quote:
I agree with the above. It's fine for the money and for quickly capturing your slides as snapshots. As I stated previously, a high quality scanner is nneded for best results. This may be an expensive and slow solution. For a small number of slides better to spend the $$ at a photo processing store and have them scanned. I'm happy with the F2D for my purposes as I have several thousand slides to get thru and time is limited. Good for snapshots.
Here's another couple of scans from the F2D with a touch of PP. These are from Sth Australian steam historical runs.
Rob

Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:32 PM   #15

And another.
Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2009, 8:42 PM   #16

Rob,

Thanks for the reply. When I enlarged your images the quality was as good as I would expect from equipment that only costs $100 (and good enough for me). And, I agree if you want professional results on a few images you are better off taking them to a professional. All I am after is getting access to a lot of years that have long since passed. We, by the way, will be in Australia in the summer for a couple of weeks. Although there is no chance of seeing an old steam engine we did see them working in Korea and in Italy in the yards as switch engines many years ago. Beautiful in the cold air.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:53 PM   #17

ghpots wrote:
Quote:
Rob,

Thanks for the reply. When I enlarged your images the quality was as good as I would expect from equipment that only costs $100 (and good enough for me). And, I agree if you want professional results on a few images you are better off taking them to a professional. All I am after is getting access to a lot of years that have long since passed. We, by the way, will be in Australia in the summer for a couple of weeks. Although there is no chance of seeing an old steam engine we did see them working in Korea and in Italy in the yards as switch engines many years ago. Beautiful in the cold air.
Historical steam runs are only in the cooler months here due to fire hazard in the bush. Those shots above were taken nearly 30 years ago on a little 35mm Minolta. Not a bad little camera but I've been enjoying digital photography for some years now.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 3:03 AM   #18

I have several slides that I want to scan. Found this thread - saw the Wolverine at Costco, but the Canon 4400d scanner is about the same price and seems to be ratedquiite high. Anybodyknow how it compares?
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:43 PM   #19

I purchased the Wolverine system after Christmas from Tiger Direct.com. They had it on a special sale of $87.95

I have used it and have been very pleased with the results. I have converted slides and color negatives to digital positives onto my computer. I put them in my Picasa file and have been able to improve the picture quality even more.

What surprised me the most was the simplicity, and speed, a picture about every 5 seconds.

I tried to order a second unit but they are out and dont appear to be getting any more. It is sold at other sites but for much more money.
WhoDatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:11 AM   #20

Default Wolverine scanner

file size is about 1.06mb
andysall is offline   Reply With Quote