Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:37 AM   #21

Default Wolverine scanner w/pix

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbly1 View Post
LOL, yeah i knew that one was coming. I cant log in to my normal account for some reason so I had to sign in as new. (odd that yours is first post too).

Anyone see any post of pictures scanned with it?
Here are two bw I scanned from negs

first looks like camera out of focus but 2nd is OK

http://andypix.homestead.com/Pix1.html
andysall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:10 AM   #22

My wife has a new project of organizing and scanning all our pictures and albums. I bought one of these wolverines and although the image is good for snap shots and ease of use my biggest problem is dust build up inside the scanner and not being able to get inside to clean it out. Since this provides raw images they have dust and lint artifact all over them because of the dust stuck to the glass. There is a cleaning brush but it only seems to spread it around and it builds up again quickly. If the bottom part was hinged to provide access you could get it out but the only access is through the slots where the film goes in. I have tried "caned air" to blow it out but that only just moves it around. The problem is that static electricity attracts it to the glass and won't let go. I'm looking for some kind of anti static spray or something. I like the concept of this little guy and really want it to work but until I solve the lint thing I am looking for another scanner. I really want a Cannon 9950F but as soon as I looked at and compared all the common mid priced scanners and decided this was the one I needed and tried to purchase one I found it's no longer made. That's me, a day late and a dollar short.
skikir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:23 PM   #23

Default NO INSTRUCTION MANUAL... so please HELP ME!!

Okay, those of you who have one of these, help me out here, P-P-PLEASE!!!!
I bought the last one of these they had in stock today at Fryes and it was the demo model, no longer in box. I paid $75 plus tax. No instruction booklet and could not find one at the wolverinedata.com website.
Had high hopes, came home and plugged in the USB... finally got that recognised, but when I turn it on and put negs in the tray, it shows a greyed out image in the background with a huge red question mark in the foreground that I cannot get to disappear. It will not allow me to do anything while that is showing... so now what do I do?
By the way, I notice that the newer model of this same item (FD2-200) has an AC plug and mine seems to be simply powered by the USB... am I correct?
How do I scan directly to my computer???
One last question (technical)... I purchased this primarily to scan at least hundreds of the thousands of Stereo Realist (mounted) slides that my father (RIP) has left behind... but will they fit in these trays??
THANKS!!
Pennilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:12 PM   #24

Default FD2 Manual Download

Go here and scroll down to download a manual.

http://www.wolverinedata.com/index.p...pages/support/

I just started using mine and it works great!
John
jpersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:08 AM   #25

This piece of gear is a really brilliant idea. It's easy to use and the scan time is fast, too. However it is very fiddley to load and each scan must be made separately, so lots of button pushing. As far as image quality goes ... Well first the scans are not sharp and second the scan is great if your image consists of mid tones. The hi-lights get blown out and the Shadows go black with no detail and the color goes quite red. I had a few hundred slides I wanted to archive, but after scanning about 50, I've decided that the quality is not worth carrying on with. There is only so much you can do to the scans with photoshop. I happen to be a professional PhotoShop user and pro photographer and I find that even after using all the tricks in the book, the images are still well under par. I guess it just depends on what you want to call a quality scan/image.

Last edited by maxeldee; Mar 5, 2010 at 9:25 AM.
maxeldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:15 AM   #26

I just bought one of these from Costco and set it up on Saturday.

It is not recognized as a USB device under Windows 7 and there are not drivers on their website. The only way to move images to your computer is to use an SD card and then move them to the computer from there.

Scanning is very fast but images are darker than I think they should be.

The manual is poor at best.

For the price it is probably OK but I am going to return it tomorrow and spend more to get a slide scanner that is easier to use and that will provide a better quality scan.
DCM1519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM1519 View Post
I just bought one of these from Costco and set it up on Saturday.

It is not recognized as a USB device under Windows 7 and there are not drivers on their website. The only way to move images to your computer is to use an SD card and then move them to the computer from there.

Scanning is very fast but images are darker than I think they should be.

The manual is poor at best.

For the price it is probably OK but I am going to return it tomorrow and spend more to get a slide scanner that is easier to use and that will provide a better quality scan.

The device works with Windows 7 by simply power cycling it, and selecting the USB icon on the LCD screen. It will then be mounted as a "drive". I find it easier to use this way as my desktop PC can't read my SD card directly. The menu ICONS while being initially cryptic, are easily learned.

Issues with dust on slides, etc., would be an issue with any scanner, so I try to clean them ahead of time and spend time removing blemishes and other image adjustments after, with post scanning editing software.

I may apply a firmware patch to help the Kodachrome color issues (a bit blue).

I have found the device to be a good value, and relatively easy to use. While not being of professional quality, it is satisfying my needs inexpensively.
rhausafus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:57 PM   #28

Default Dynamic Range

The apparent problem with this scanner is that it does not compress the dynamic range of a color slide to fit the limits allowed by the sensor. Digital sensors simply cannot equal the range of color slide film. This is evident when looking at the pictures that have been uploaded to this thread. The highlights are blown, and the shadows are muddy. (I.e. white patches in the sky, and no detail in the shadows.) I get exactly the same result when using a 1:1 lens on a digital camera to photograph a color slide.

Any decent slide scanner contains electronics to compress the range to the limits allowed by its sensor. I don't know if this applies to the Canon 4400d, which has been mentioned here. It definitely does apply to the Nikon SuperCoolscan, but that costs a whole lot more and entails a lot more time and trouble to obtain optimal results from each slide.
charlesplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:55 PM   #29

Default (F2D), slide scanner.

Sorry, but I am Not impressed with the specifications of the Wolverine (F2D), slide scanner.
- It only has a scan "Quality of = 1,800 DPI
- DPI = Dots Per Inch.

Pay a little more, and receive better quality.
You only get what you pay for. (Quality)).
Old Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:24 AM   #30

Default wolverine digital scanner

I just purchased the photo/slide scanner from Wolverine for my dad and used it to scan 300 slides yesterday. First it was a blast to sit with him and go through slides from his youth back in 1956 and 1959, lots of stories I never heard, and lots of laughs.

The scanner worked beautifully for me. He would look at pictures in a slide viewer we bought him a couple of years ago and I would scan the slides. The quality of the scan really depends on the quality of the picture, but, the colors were great, the ease of use for the slide scanner was awesome! Now to clarify that.

We purchased extra slide scanner holders and I am glad we did as the quality of the holder was much better than the one that came with the unit. It was easier to open and the holder for each slide was more precise. When the slides are placed correctly inside the holder, it moves smoothly through the scanner, if it is not quite set inside the placemark, the slide holder does not slide through easily so I had to pull it out and reset the slide (no big hassle for me, just pop it into the placeholder securely)

The only part I did not care for was the slide does not automatically click into place for scanning, so i have to make sure I have it aligned correctly in the viewer. Again not a problem, just a wish list. The scanning operation was so easy, push button to start scan, push enter twice, done. And it was that fast.

The quality of the original really sets the quality of the scan. Now this is not for professional images and I doubt that a pro would use this but the basic quality to have digital images was great for us. Dad is a photography enthusiast and has been taking great photos for 50 years and he loved the outcome of this device.

Next we are going to try the photo scanner and see how that works. I was surprised to see it came with three photo holders, 3x5, 4x6, 5x7 which is good for our use. Will update after we use the photo scanner.

I had one of the earlier scanners for negatives, and it was awful, this one is so much easier and provides better quality for the nonanalystical photographer who wants copy of their paper photos or slides.
mikestax is offline   Reply With Quote