Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:42 PM   #1

Default Epson 3170 or 3200

Trying to decide between these two scanners.
Can't see much difference between them. Only real spec difference I can see is the 3200 has firewire.

Is the 3200 worth almost double the price of the 3170? :?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2003, 3:33 PM   #2

there are more differences. for the most part it is little difference. like you said no firewire, no silverfast software, the outer casing is of a different design and construction. firewire will add $50+ right off the bat. the silverfast SE software tends to be another $50-100 added(about as user friendly as a spitting cobra) but it was a gift and one well appreciated. it not my primare A/D device.i own a slide scanner.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 12:36 AM   #3

I just need a good flatbed for scanning flat art at decently high rez, and accurate color. My ancient HP is finally giving up the ghost.

I'll be seeing a epson rep next week and will prod him for info about the thing.

FIreWire I don't want, SilverFast I don't need, so the 3170 may be the way to go. Unless there is a even higher rez scanner hideing in the dark epson closets. Usually produced 1 day after I buy something :lol:
Old Oct 25, 2003, 8:26 AM   #4

my bro in law just got the 3170. he loves it. i think the 3170 will serve you very well.

have you ever looked at silverfast? it is an excellent high definition program but a little kacking in intuitive operation. thay also have this thing for airplanes.

the age of digitalization has destroyed the value in all products purchased now. they will always have something better next month.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 11:03 AM   #5

Thanks, I will go and have a much closer look at the real thing at the computer store.

No, silverfast never supported any of the previous scanners I had I've tried using some photoshop plugins that automagically try to clean up images, but never liked the results.

True, modern technology, I find the same with beer, there is always a newer and better bottle just around the corner :twisted: .
Old Oct 25, 2003, 11:08 AM   #6

Ah! you are a true Canadian.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 1:31 PM   #7

Default 3170 v 3200 - Silverfast difference

what does the Silverfast software do?

I think I want the 3170 but am not sure if the Silverfast included with the 3200 would be useful for scanning color negatives. (I understand that although scanning color transparencies can work OK, the scanning of color negatives is a science in of itself and not usually successful in flatbed hybrids??)

Richard.
captain pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 5:10 PM   #8

Here is their marketing blurbel for SIlverFast AI.
SilverFast

It is scanner control software.

I broke down and got the 3170 and it is quite impressive, only tried it on a slide at 3200 dpi 48 bit and a 8*8 inch picture at 600dpi & 48bit will have to test it on a negative. I will post results.

The slide scanned very well, as did the 8*8, the 8*8 produced a 202meg Tif at this rate I'm going to have to get another gig of memory for the pc. :? mabe time for another PC upgrade.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 7:41 PM   #9

I tried scanning a strip of negatives and it was quite successfull.
BuT slow, I scanned at 3200dpi, 48bit depth, sharpening turned off.

The output files were about 60meg, and the quality under photoshop maginfication tool looked quite good. The scan tools default automatic color setting was close to what Costco did when they originaly printed the pcitures, but that is not saying much .

I'd say it out performed my old HP s20, by quite a bit, especially with its much higher d-max, and 3200 dpi vs the s20 2400 dpi. Some day I will have to rescan some old slides with it and try printing them to see how the old/new compare.

But I will have to buy a new bigger box of time first :lol: