Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:53 AM   #1

Hello
I've just acquired a canon scanner canonscan 4400, I can take old 35 mm films and scan them, and I found I have also old negative slides of much bigger size (3 x 3 cm)
and (5 x 7 cm) I think, I could not scan those slides

so please anyone has a trick to get those slides as 35 mm if possible

thanks a lot

redone301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:06 PM   #2

There is no trick for making your larger negatives smaller, thus allowing them to fit the Canon 4400.

I don't know exactly what size your negatives are; neither size you list is a good match for any standard size. I would guess that those you indicate as 3x3cm are actually more like 4x4cm (closer to 4.5x4.5cm actually), which is the standard 12 shot per roll square format on 127 film. The "5x7cm" negs could either be the 8 shot 127 format or either 15 or 16 shot 120 formats, both normally refered to as 6x4.5cm, though all three are slightly larger.

To scan any of these you would need a scanner designed for at least 120 film. The 127 negs would require some shimming to adapt them up to the wider 120 film width so they would fit the 120 carriers; this is rather easy.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 5:13 AM   #3

Thanks for replying, I'm noob concerning photography :sad:
I can't afford to buy another scanner
then I guess I have to go to some photo studio shop to get some pictures
for those in "
4.5x4.5cm" .
I just succeeded to take a scan of the 4.5x4.5cm negative slides , off course I get a negative picture
is there a way to get it "positive " using photoshop or any other image processing software ?

thanks

dwig wrote:
Quote:
There is no trick for making your larger negatives smaller, thus allowing them to fit the Canon 4400.

I don't know exactly what size your negatives are; neither size you list is a good match for any standard size. I would guess that those you indicate as 3x3cm are actually more like 4x4cm (closer to 4.5x4.5cm actually), which is the standard 12 shot per roll square format on 127 film. The "5x7cm" negs could either be the 8 shot 127 format or either 15 or 16 shot 120 formats, both normally refered to as 6x4.5cm, though all three are slightly larger.

To scan any of these you would need a scanner designed for at least 120 film. The 127 negs would require some shimming to adapt them up to the wider 120 film width so they would fit the 120 carriers; this is rather easy.
redone301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:59 AM   #4

My reply is to your other post on this new topic
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote