Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:02 PM   #1

Recently purchased an Epson V750 flatbed multipurpose scanner to discover it does not have a film holder for 2 1/4 square negs and postive. It will scan the odd size 6x7 ( i think). I have extensive files of hassablad shots. Any suggestions??
dmiller787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:16 PM   #2

OK I just did some reading and found that Epson does make an optional film holder for that scanner for medium format film. It is however for scanning strips of film, nothing for individual cut slides. That really seems stupid of them to me. I would think their should be a way to use it though.

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:51 PM   #3

The EPSON v700/750 120 carrier holds strips of film, either negative or unmounted transparencies. It is not specific to any one of the several common 120 image formats.

I'm guessing that you are using the bundled EPSON Scan software. This software is very good but there are a few places where the user interface is poor. Format choice for 120 is one of the worst.

To select the format EPSON Scan uses for its autosensing of the individual frames you must click the "Configuration..." button (poorly formated label for a button; they should never include an elipsis) and select the "Film Size" tab. You will find a single control that selects the desired 120 format. The options are 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, and 6x9. If I remember correctly, 6x7 is the default when you first install the software. If you change it, the new selection will stick and become the default the next time you launch the software, either as a standalone app or as a Photoshop plugin.

The other method is to uncheck the less then lucidly termed* "Thumbnail" checkbox (nearly hidden down in the lower left squeezed between the "Help" button and the "Preview" button). With this unchecked, the software doesn't attempt to autoselect each image. You manually marquee select each image. This method is slower and sometimes a bit tedious, but it allows you to select a larger scan area to include some border around the image. The autoselected scan areas created when "Thumbnail" is checked tend to crop a bit too much for my taste.

I've been using a v700 for well over a year and have scanned nearly a 1000 negs, transparencies, and slides ranging from 16mm sub-miniture through 4x5 sheet film and 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 film pack with numerous antique roll film formats in between. I've had to build my own adapters for the EPSON carriesr to handle many of the odder formats (127 8-shot, 127 6-shot autographic, 616 8-shot, 616 16-shot, ...). Other than building the adapters and figuring out EPSON's somewhat cryptic UI, I've had no difficulty getting excellent scans out of my v700.

(* - does the fact that I spent a significant portion of the dotcom days as a well paid software designer with a particular skill in user interface design show in my rant? Bad UI design is a pet peeve.)
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:49 AM   #4

Thanks so much for your help. I will give it all a try.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:53 AM   #5

Thanks again.
Just scanned a 2 1/4 trans without using thumbnail and used the 6x6 config
works great. Why couldn't Epson techs tell me this?????
Old Mar 20, 2009, 2:47 PM   #6

I really appreciate you comments. Do you do commercial work scanning with your V700? I am wondering if there is a market do that with the V750. thanks

danieldmiller@comcast.net
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:54 PM   #7

Glad I could help.

I certainly think that the v750 would be up to the task of doing commercial scanning for a low to mid level market. It won't match the really high end stuff, but that's a rarified market. The big issue will be finding a balance between the time and effort you put into the scans, the price the market will bare, and the quality they expect.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote