Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Nov 2, 2003, 1:10 PM   #1

Default Scanning halftone prints

I recently bought an epson 1660 scanner for coping old black and white photographs and trade journels. It does a wonderful job on the photographs but I am getting a moire pattern when I try to scan the halftone prints of photos in the old magazines. The journels have some wonderful historic images from the early 1900's of my town that now exist nowhere else. The paper is old and tears very easy if handled and I wish to make copies to preserve these images for the future.
My software is just what came with the scanner (PhotoImpressions)but I have been thinking about upgrading to Photoshop 7 if this would help.

Can anyone recommend an easy solution to eliminating the moire pattern on my scans?
Steve-the-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2003, 3:52 PM   #2

The Moire is probably coming from the screen used in printing.
In you scanner software you may find a descreening filter that may do the job. Photoshop has a Noise:Median:Filter that may help.
Also you can try scanning the prints at a slight angle.
Another possible solution is to change the dpi in photoshop or resample slightly about 10% up or down.
There are other more involed methods using blurring and sharpening but I think you will find on of the other methods more effective.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote