Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:33 AM   #1

Default Epson V700/V750-M PRO 35mm film holders

I have been looking at purchasing either the Epson V700, or the V750-M PRO flatbed scanner. Stored away in my closet, are hundreds of old 35 mm print film negatives that need to be scanned. Sadly, over the past 30 years, I have stored these negatives in protective holders, but they have started to curl. Will the 35mm film negative holders with these scanners, be able to flatten out the negatives so the image will not be distorted when scanned?

Thanks,

Ron
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
... Will the 35mm film negative holders with these scanners, be able to flatten out the negatives so the image will not be distorted when scanned? ...
They will do a good, though not perfect, job of flattening the negative strips. They hold the strip very securely down each side clamping the sprocket portion snugly. One end of the strip is also held well. The flaw is that the other will be allowed to curl a bit if the strip is not exactly six frames long.

In cases of heavily curled shorter strips, it is sometimes best to not scan the end, incompletely supported frame. After scanning the other frames on the strip you would reverse the strip in the carrier and scan the frame omitted in the first scan.

While I haven't attempted it for 35mm strips, I have made "fillers" that support the end of a short 120 strip, or single neg, out of black construction paper. These have worked well to keep the end flatter. The "fillers" are two pieces of heavy construction paper tapped together with 2 or 3 layers of double stick tape leaving the end 1/8" unsealed and are trimmed to the width of the film. The end of the neg strip is slipped into the unsealed end.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
While I haven't attempted it for 35mm strips, I have made "fillers" that support the end of a short 120 strip, or single neg, out of black construction paper. These have worked well to keep the end flatter. The "fillers" are two pieces of heavy construction paper tapped together with 2 or 3 layers of double stick tape leaving the end 1/8" unsealed and are trimmed to the width of the film. The end of the neg strip is slipped into the unsealed end.
Very interesting approach. A friend of mine uses specialized film holders made by Doug Fisher. They are quite good, and are made to order for various printers. From what I have been told, these are ideal to use with curled color print B&W film negatives.

http://www.betterscanning.com/

Ron

"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain." Robert Frost.

Last edited by Thunderbolt; Jun 19, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:20 PM   #4

Hi - I recently purchased an epson V700 and I love it but am having problems scanning colour negatives. I am scanning at 2400 dpi to a Tiff output, however my files are coming out at 395 MB which seems excessive as I was anticipating something a lot smaller. Admittedly I am a novice at this so it is probably a 'user error' but could someone give me an idea as to if this is a reasonable size?
regards
Ann
anniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniec View Post
Hi - I recently purchased an epson V700 and I love it but am having problems scanning colour negatives. I am scanning at 2400 dpi to a Tiff output, however my files are coming out at 395 MB which seems excessive as I was anticipating something a lot smaller. Admittedly I am a novice at this so it is probably a 'user error' but could someone give me an idea as to if this is a reasonable size?
regards
Ann
Its rather improper to hijack existing threads. If you want to ask a new question, do so in a new post.

Your results are what one would expect for a 2400ppi san of a 35mm negative saved as a 48bpp TIFF. If you want any further discussion, start a new thread.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice and sorry for intruding on your thread. I am a new member and didn't realise how specific the threads were. I figured you guys were talking about the epson v700 which is what I was having problems with so someone may be able to help me.

By the way all the negatives I am scanning are curled and in strips of 4 and I have not had any problems and not needed any fillers.
anniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniec View Post
By the way all the negatives I am scanning are curled and in strips of 4 and I have not had any problems and not needed any fillers.
I've not had issues with 35mm except in a few cases of rather severely curled film. The EPSON carriers snap shut firmly and hold the film snugly. Most of my negs are stored flat in PrintFile pages stacked in storage boxes; only a few are in binders. I have found that the wider 120 film is much more likely to curl enough to cause some resolution loss when the end is unsupported.