Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Aug 28, 2009, 3:04 PM   #1

Default Konica 5400 Elite II Film Scanner - Fix or Replace?

My Konica/Minolta Scan Elite 5400 II film scanner is broken. I only use it occasionally, but have been scanning some slides for a friend for archival purposes so would like decent quality.

Should I get it repaired for about $175, or buy a new scanner? Newegg has a Plustek OpticFilm 7200 for $190 (or the 7200i with infrared for $265).

The problem with the scanner is that it misaligns the film carrier. So for example, when scanning slide #2, it comes up with a frame that is half black and the other half has part of slide #1.

This happened after I opened it to fix another problem - the power light not coming on. I still don't know how it got fixed - I messed with some connectors - but I didn't go near the mechanical part of the unit - at least not on purpose!
bilofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:06 PM   #2

Default Should I get it repaired for about $175

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilofsky View Post
My Konica/Minolta Scan Elite 5400 II film scanner is broken. I only use it occasionally, but have been scanning some slides for a friend for archival purposes so would like decent quality.

Should I get it repaired for about $175, or buy a new scanner? Newegg has a Plustek OpticFilm 7200 for $190 (or the 7200i with infrared for $265).

The problem with the scanner is that it misaligns the film carrier. So for example, when scanning slide #2, it comes up with a frame that is half black and the other half has part of slide #1.

This happened after I opened it to fix another problem - the power light not coming on. I still don't know how it got fixed - I messed with some connectors - but I didn't go near the mechanical part of the unit - at least not on purpose!
I think it's woth to fix it these old Konica/Minolta Scan Elite 5400 II film scanner are deemed as one of the best.
bulos is offline   Reply With Quote