Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:22 AM   #1

Default Slides to digital the old fashion way?

I am going to visit my mother-in-law for a couple of weeks Thanksgiving. She is physically challenged but all there She and her late husband were in Berlin when it fell in WW2 and stayed thru the building of the wall as he was in the military in charge of supplies. They have a large collection of 35mm slides they took during this time I want to digitalize and do a sound and fade DVD disk with Pro-Show. I was going to set up the slide projector and I have a tape recorder with which every evening we are going to go through some slides with her giving commentary. This is why I am not going to use a scanner along with the fact she lives 800 miles away and does not have a computer.
I have a Cannon Power Shot S2 IS and tripod. What are the best light settings and exposure, ISO ect and method I can use to do this?
Thank you
oldtexasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2009, 4:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post
I am going to visit my mother-in-law for a couple of weeks Thanksgiving. She is physically challenged but all there She and her late husband were in Berlin when it fell in WW2 and stayed thru the building of the wall as he was in the military in charge of supplies. They have a large collection of 35mm slides they took during this time I want to digitalize and do a sound and fade DVD disk with Pro-Show. I was going to set up the slide projector and I have a tape recorder with which every evening we are going to go through some slides with her giving commentary. This is why I am not going to use a scanner along with the fact she lives 800 miles away and does not have a computer.
I have a Cannon Power Shot S2 IS and tripod. What are the best light settings and exposure, ISO ect and method I can use to do this?
Thank you
This will work, but the quality is going to be lousy. Can't you barrow the slides, and use even a mediocre scanner? You can take notes on the slides as you see them. Ultimately the results will be much better. Qualitatively better.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 5:27 PM   #3

I am going to try but I don't think she will let them out of her sight much less 900 miles away. The only saving grace is that if all I want to do is make her a DVD of her pic's then the pix rate for natural DVD on the TV is less than one Meg Px/ Righrt?
oldtexasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post
I am going to try but I don't think she will let them out of her sight much less 900 miles away. The only saving grace is that if all I want to do is make her a DVD of her pic's then the pix rate for natural DVD on the TV is less than one Meg Px/ Righrt?
As I've said, it will work. But I've experimented with using a camera in lieu of a scanner, and it just doesn't hold up. It's good enough if you don't care about quality. On the other hand, your DVD idea will probably be good enough for the above stated purpose.

But surely these images have an inherent value that transcends a simple DVD on a tv show? You paint a rather dramatic picture of these images. Surely that is a worth while project to "get it right?"

Well, you'll know when you load the first shot onto a computer.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:35 PM   #5

Are these all color slides or B&W, or mixed? Your camera should give you a pretty fair auto exposure, but you may need a bit of -EV to keep the highlights from getting blown out. For best quality and least noise, use the lowest ISO your camera has. Unless the slide projector auto-advances, you shouldn't have to worry about exposure time.
I was stationed in Berlin, myself, in the '70s. Lots of changes since then, and an incredible amount since WWII.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:15 PM   #6

I can go as low as 50 ISO and I do appreciate the advice. Should I do this with as little ambient light as possible? There will come a time unfortunately when I can sit back and take my time doing this right. Right now she would like to see them, and as she has very advanced arthritis the best I can do is provide her with a DVD compilation movie after we view them together that she can have someone put into the player. The pics are both color and B&W
Thanks all big time
Mike Lovell
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:18 PM   #7

Here's a link to some photos that started life as Kodachrome slides (except for the first three). I digitized them by using a slide copy accessory on a Coolpix 995 camera. They turned out better than I expected. A few got tweaked in Photoshop, and look better than the slides.

http://s485.photobucket.com/albums/r...view=slideshow
neilcrichton is offline   Reply With Quote