Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:15 PM   #1

Default Wolverine F2D - Yuk! Alternatives?

I've checked the reviews, done the search, and scanned posts back a few pages, and find that the Wolverine F2D users do indeed fall into the 5 stars and 1 star groups, with not much in between. I'm at the 1 star end.

I just received the F2D by UPS yesterday and scanned 35 mm slides (both full and half-frame) and 35 mm full frame negatives to test it. The ease of use is great, detented stops on the carriers are an acceptable alternative to automated feed, and the speed is outstanding - especially so since I have a collection of thousands of slides and negatives to digitize - ie, a dedicated or flatbed scanner is way too slow, and I'm willing to take some loss of quality.

The show stopper is that most slides have poor gamma, and/or exposure/contrast, and/or color balance. The negatives are the best of the bunch. Faces and most other highlight areas are washed out beyond hope. Colors often - but not always - tend towards too warm. If it wasn't for these issues, it would be a keeper. However, it's probably going back to Costco.

The question is, can anybody suggest an alternative? At least one other brand I've seen in searching the web is identical to the F2D, but with a different brand name. There are others that are packaged differently, but otherwise seem similar in function and quality. I'd be willing to pay in the $150-200 range (Costco Online sale price was $90) for one that has the same speed and resolution, but gets the exposure and color right - or at least closer so that there's hope of post-processing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Optiker
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:42 PM   #2

With no replies so far, I thought I'd add a follow up. I returned the F2D to Costco. The next day I received a reply from Wolverine Tech Support acknowledging the problems, and with files attached to update firmware. Whether or not this would have solved the problem, I'll never know. But, if you have a F2D, you might consider requesting firmware update files form Wolverine. They seem willing to try to help.

As a clarification on my original post, the original slides and negatives were properly exposed with good dynamic range. The digitized results ended to be washed out highlights and too high contrast, with poor color accuracy.

Having exhausted what I consider to be acceptable solutions, I am going back to my original plan of using a digital camera at macro distances with backlighting to illuminate the slide, to capture a digial copy. I've done some with my old Minolta Dimage A1, and they are barely adequate, ie, not as good as I would like since the A1 did not have very good macro performance, and adding closeup filters introduces too much off-axis softness and vignetting. My solution is to upgrade my A1. I am currently looking at a Sony Cybershot HX1 and a Nikon Coolpix P90, leaning towards the Sony due to the Nikon's poor reviews on distortion and sharpness.

I'll continue to monitor this thread in case there are any follow up posts.

Thanks!
Optiker
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiker View Post
With no replies so far, I thought I'd add a follow up. I returned the F2D to Costco. The next day I received a reply from Wolverine Tech Support acknowledging the problems, and with files attached to update firmware. Whether or not this would have solved the problem, I'll never know. But, if you have a F2D, you might consider requesting firmware update files form Wolverine. They seem willing to try to help.

As a clarification on my original post, the original slides and negatives were properly exposed with good dynamic range. The digitized results ended to be washed out highlights and too high contrast, with poor color accuracy.

Having exhausted what I consider to be acceptable solutions, I am going back to my original plan of using a digital camera at macro distances with backlighting to illuminate the slide, to capture a digial copy. I've done some with my old Minolta Dimage A1, and they are barely adequate, ie, not as good as I would like since the A1 did not have very good macro performance, and adding closeup filters introduces too much off-axis softness and vignetting. My solution is to upgrade my A1. I am currently looking at a Sony Cybershot HX1 and a Nikon Coolpix P90, leaning towards the Sony due to the Nikon's poor reviews on distortion and sharpness.

I'll continue to monitor this thread in case there are any follow up posts.

Thanks!
Optiker
Can't give you a definitive answer, but I've owned a number of Epson Scanners, and all have given me great results, even their cheapest.

Of course the last one I bought was ten years ago, but I've owned half a dozen. I will say that using a camera can "work," I've never gotten good results.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:18 PM   #4

Since I have hundreds of slides left from my film days I've been checking these posts on slide scanners as well as researching reviews on different models of scanners, hoping to find an easy solution.

When I think I have found a model that will suit my needs, good quality scans at a reasonable cost, I read a post where someone has encountered problems, either with the scanner or with image quality.

My conclusion at this point is that I will have to sort through my slides and select those ones that I would like to keep, probably between 100 and 200 and take them to a photography shop that has a slide scanning service.

Based on the charges at shops near to me I will likely wind up paying about $1 per slide. Most of the scanning services use top of the line Nikon scanners and will produce a digital image of high resolution.

Since all I'm after is a good digital image of my slides it is beginning to make more sense in my circumstances to go this route and not put up with the hassle of trying to do it myself with a poor quality scanner.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:27 PM   #5

The biggest problem of this little guy is the dust build up inside the thing. Even if you had pristine negatives you can get lint/dust inside it. The static electricity makes lint stick to the inside surfaces so as you scan the images you get the same artifact on all images. Since there is a trap door on the input side and a trap door on the exit side so it is hard to get anything inside to get the dirt out. I scanned some images and right in the middle of each image is a big old chunk of dirt looking like a big question mark. I tried cleaning it out but just succeeded in just moving it around. Although I think the image quality is OK for most situations (unless you are really picky) the real killer is the crud stuck on every face. Don't get me wrong, I really want this thing to work. Wolverine!! if your out there and checking feed back, open the thing up so you can clean it out!!
skikir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 10:50 PM   #6

I received the Wolverine F2D as a gift. In the past several months I have scanned over 5,000 35 mm color slides and I am very satisfied. There could be some small improvements made, but for the money and the quality of the scans I would rate it 5 stars. The high resolution scan produces a jpg image of about 2 MB. I would highly recommend this unit.
Vectra is offline   Reply With Quote