Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:14 AM   #1

Default Film scanners on a low budget (also are ion film scanners any good?)

I tend to capture pictures on film, and have a number of negatives that would be nice to digitize, i also have 1400-1500 slides i took back in 2004 that have mostly never been digitized, now wanting to digitize those films not to the maximum quality possible due to a limited budget (a low quality digital representation of said slides is also better than nothing at all) i am faced with two options, a cheap dedicated film scanner called ION slide2pc and possibly a slightly more expensive version called ION film2digital, not sure which is better but the latter has a preview lcd screen and my second option is a flatbed scanner with film holders, what i have in mind would be a Canon 5600F, it seems to get good reviews, which would be better ? a cheap plastic dedicated scanner or a decent flatbed ? i do have a flatbed for document scanning already, but a better unit is always welcome in that department too
rv8088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:50 AM   #2

here are those locally available "ion" scanners i mentioned:
http://www.ionaudio.com/slides2pc
http://www.ionaudio.com/film2sd
they kind of look like toys don't they ?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Administrator

I've never tried one. But, they do look interesting. There are a number of similar models I'm seeing out now. Most of the inexpensive ones appear to use a 5 Megapixel Sensor. But, I don't know how the quality compares.

I'm in the same boat. I've got boxes of slides that I've been meaning to get around to scanning for years, and never seem to get around to it. I've got a flat bed scanner with a transparency adapter and lamp for that purpose (basically, it shines the light from the top through the film or transparencies so the scanner can scan them). But, it just seems to be too time consuming if you've got lots of film and slides that need scanning.

But, the higher end dedicated scanners are pricey. So, I've been thinking about one of the cheap solutions, too. If you look through the film scanner listings at popular vendors, you can see user reviews of them. For example, this list (sorted by lowest price first) has some inexpensive models using a similar concept (5MP sensor).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...Ns=p_PRICE_2|0

If you decide to go with that type of solution, let us know how it works.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:05 PM   #4

I don't have any first-hand info on the Ion converters, but, I bought a Wolverine F2D at Costco, and the returned it because, while I loved the speed and ease, and the resolution was OK for my needs, the exposure and/or contrast, and/or gamma, and/or color balance were so poor as to make the results unacceptable. Faces and anything light were badly washed out.

The Wolverine F2D is identical in appearance to the more expensive of the two Ion converters, as well as to a number of other brands of similar devices. It appears that the hardware, at least, is made by the same manufacturer, but branded differently, and perhaps with different firmware.

I thought I had posted a followup on my Wolverine post from Dec 23, but don't see it, so it must have gotten lost somewhere along the way.

The followon post reported that I contacted Wolverine through their web site and explained the problems, but because I needed to do it quickly and didn't really expect a reply, I returned the device to Costco. The next day I got a reply from their tech support with two files needed to install updated firmware that they claim would fix the problem. Unfortunately, it was too late for me, but if indeed it would have fixed the problem, it would have been a great solution for me. Other brands (Ion for example) may already have solved that problem.

I have seen pictures posted by two Wolverine F2D users that were excellent, but in fact, of all of the reviews I read, they were split between loving it and hating it. Perhaps a quality control problem?

Good luck...I'm still looking!
Optiker
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:40 PM   #5
Administrator

Thanks for the report.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:25 PM   #6

the shops here in my town will open tomorrow after the holidays and i will decide on which to buy then... i do not expect either device to make a good scan of my velvia 50 slides... but a mediocre will do for now... but now speedy scans sound nice... so if available i might pick the more expensive ion scanner... i'll tell you if i am satisfied or not soon