Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Apr 10, 2010, 5:13 PM   #1

Default Scanning 35mm slides. Any input would be appreciated.

I have volunteered to scan close to 900 slides of my dads family. The slides were created during the 50's to 70's. It seems like 85-90% of them are Kodachrome, the others are mostly PAKON.

My uncle lent me his Epson Perfection V200 scanner for this job. It has a max optical DPI of 4800, but there seems to be little to no detail added choosing that over 2400 DPI.

I've been playing around with the settings.. trying to come up with a system that I am satisfied with before I commit to scanning every slide.

Here is an example slide of what different techniques/settings look like:

1)This image is straight from the scanner. No filters used:

2)This is straight from the scanner, but then having "auto tone" "auto contrast" & "auto color" applied via Photoshop:

3)This has Color Correction & Dust Removal turned on through the Epson scan utility:

4)This is using the Epson scan utilities FULL AUTO mode "dust removal, sharpening, color correction + whatever else is applied":

I was thinking about scanning @ 2400 DPI, 48 bit color, Tiff, 100% scale, NO image adjustments/filters turned on through Epson scan software.
Leaving a copy of this Tiff for archive purposes.
Then I can go into photoshop and do the auto-tone/contrast/color + maybe a little unsharp mask. Save this as a separate Tiff file.
After that, create a high-quality JPEG of this edited Tiff file - resized to smaller dimensions for general viewing on the computer monitor.

What do you guys think? Do you think the full-auto version looks the best? Should I just select that for the time-savings?

You can clearly see some dust/hairs on this slide. I just placed it straight on the scanner bed without cleaning it. I plan on blowing both sides of the slide off with compressed air.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links