Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:53 PM   #1

Default Photoshop CS5 twain driver Win 7 64 bit

Just a note to save others frustration...

Upgraded from Vista 32 to Win 7 64 and no twain driver add-in available from Adobe for 64 bit, nor does runnning PS 32 bit on the 64 bit operating machine activate the 32 bit twain driver to launch an Epson V100 flatbed.

After researching all over the Adobe site, they basically blame the manufacturer (Epson in this case - but all of them) for lack of the 64 bit twain support. The problem is clearlly Adobe, and they need to look in the mirror rather than blaming others.

RESOLUTION
Epson does have a 64 bit driver for that model (and most other recent models). Downloaded it, and it works fine totally independent of Photoshop.
Downloaded Gimp. It works like Photoshop should work (and Photoshop does work in 32 but). It launches the scanner from inside Gimp, scans and drops off the scanned product within Gimp as an open file ready for editing.

I use resolution #1, as I have to open some software so open Epsons rather than Gimp. It saves the scanned file as a .jpg. Then I open Photoshop to retrieve the just scanned image. What a pain. But what a lot of hot air and non-support from Adobe.

Last edited by tizeye; Feb 27, 2011 at 8:57 PM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:16 PM   #2

Default Works for me

I have an Epson scanner that works fine with my Windows 7 64-bit system. I was able to do it by going to File > Import > WIA Support

Hope that helps...

Last edited by boyblue232323; Mar 2, 2011 at 5:42 PM.
boyblue232323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:38 AM   #3

Interesting. The above sequence now appears in PS. Just brought it up and is very limited with the most basic interface - 4 choices of scan types - all pre-set with no indication of what the settings are, including on the "custom" choice. Only adjustments are color/contrast, but nothing else, plus scanning slides is not one of the 4 choice available.

I typically use the "professional" mode which gives me choices on DPI and everything else, and that is what launched on the 32 bit version of PS.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote