Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:19 PM   #1

Default Using epson 3170 photo scanner for slides?

I have a large number of 127 slides that I'd like to scan into digital image files. I have an Epson "Perfection 3170 PHOTO" scanner running on a WIN-XP machine that will scan up to 4 slides at a time using the slide-holder that came with the scanner. There are two problems that I've encountered so far: First, the scanner is pretty slow scanning at a resolution that gives an adequate image. Second, the software that I have doesn't include anything like Digital ICE so it's either tweak each individual image pre-scan or try to make a reasonable image with a post-scan photo editor.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Would getting a newer scanner address these issues enough to be worth the expense? If so, can anybody recommend which one to purchase? Would it be better to just keep the 3170 and use a different software?

I'm not looking for fine-photography images--just images that family can see and possibly make prints of if they want.

I have over 700 slides that I'd like to convert so, given the fact that 127 is much more expensive to have scanned by a service than 35MM, I feel like it's worth my time to do it myself.
gpaulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links