Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:37 AM   #1

Default Buying Advice needed Canon 9000f vs Canon 5600f vs Epson V500

Hi there

I'm looking to buy a decent flatbed scanner with a budget of around 180. I want this scanner not only for documents but for scanning old photo's and 35mm slides. I'm starting a long term project scanning slides soon so I want to buy a scanner that will do a decent job on these.

The scanners I've been looking at are the Canon 9000f which is right at the top of my budget, it's sibling the 5600f and also the Epson Perfection V500 which is priced between the 2 Canons.

Has anyone on this forum had experience using these scanners who could give me some true honest advice as to which of these scanners to buy? It is difficult buying a piece of hardware when you don't know what the results are going to be and spec sheets can only tell you so much. I don't mind spending the whole budget if the results are going to be worth it.

Thanks in advance

Jonty
jonty1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:36 AM   #2

I have no experience with any of these, but have used both HP and Epson scanners, and I find that the Epson scanner interface is much more robust than the HP one. It may be different for these HP scanners, but the one's I've used (don't remember exactly which models) don't give the user a lot of manual control in the "preview" phase. I've used several different Epson scanners (I have the Perfection 1200, which has slide/transparancy capability) and I find that the Epson Twain interface has lots of manual controls, and you can see what the scan will look like, and make adjustments, at the preview stage, rather than having to scan, look at the output, tweak the controls, rescan etc.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:48 PM   #3

Many years ago I used an Epson 1240U Photo to scan 35mm slides. I found the results just OK.
I bought the Epson V500 in 2010 & scanned about 1500 slides - the results were incredibly good. Depending upon the quality of the scans you're looking for, it can take quite a long time to scan a lot of slides. Experimentation will enable you to find the right balance between quality & time.
I recommend this scanner without reservation.
Good luck.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:23 PM   #4

regardless of what you get, consider vuescan software, especially for slides. Much better and more flexible than the stock software.
klevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevin View Post
regardless of what you get, consider vuescan software, especially for slides. Much better and more flexible than the stock software.
Hi, I'll second the comment re. Vuescan software it's excellent.

Re. scanners for slide copying, I found this an extremely slow method, and results somewhat mediocre. I borrowed a slide copier fitting for my digital camera, this proved to be much faster, and results far superior.

The copiers are usually mostly universal fitting. I now have my own which is this fairly common model, sometimes available under different re_badged marks, .........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ITOREX-ZOO...item3ccc6bc72e

You can often find used models on eBay. ... Jack

Last edited by jachol; Nov 26, 2012 at 9:30 AM.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote