Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Aug 19, 2002, 11:11 AM   #1

Default Kodachrome and a 4000ed

scanning kodachrome is a challenge. even using the kodachrome setting doesn't seem to get it right. anybody have settigs that work for them. ektachromes and fujichrome come out good.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2002, 12:31 AM   #2

ok i solved my own problem.its the old story and goes like this:

if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

with digital ROC on it trys to recover the lost color which it does real well on Ekt or Fuji. funny thing about kodachrome it has a lifespan of about 100 yrs so 10-20 yrs is nothing in the fade department. turn off ROC. in other words set it to 0. all of a sudden i get my color and image back OK. DUH!!!
Old Nov 22, 2002, 3:01 AM   #3

Default Kodachrome?

Do they still make that film? Man, I gave up on it in 1974. They changed the formulation and the colours looked funny. It's useless on a cloudy day. It's too expensive. You can't underexpose it, and then Agfachrome 64 came out, which looked great at ASA 125. Too bad Agfachrome 64 became unavailable up here in the Great White North.

But now who cares, right? We have digital, and it can be slide or print "film" according to how we want to view the images. :lol:
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:01 AM   #4

yes they still make it

sorry you gave it up. your loss.

works fine on any day. just have to learn how to use it.

i only started to use it in 1976 so the colors don't look "funny" in the rather large group i have.

quality and longevity does cost. look at your fujichromes after 20 years or so. watch the colors shift. not exactly archival product.

i have always used it at iso 80 myself.

iso 25 Kchrome was discontinued

as far agachrome/ct18- thats the film the screwed up. their processing changes along with with a total lack of QC is what killied it around 1984 down here. again it won't last as long and hold color like K64

and my opinion of digital at this point is- its getting there but i'll see. i still am leary of the concept of purchasing a camera with the film permantly built in. film based cameras still hold the widest variety, versatility and useability. how about purchasing a camera at $5000 that can't shoot IR or fire at more than 2-3 fps. you have to invest in other bodies and give up resolution or speed or to do these things. what a deal. we sometimes give up so much for the immediacy of digital

i use digital too. it's just another tool in the box. if a job deems it necessary to use, i use it.

but then again everyone has an opinion. right?

and i still shoot B&W in both media too. though in digital a better printer is needed and on order.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 6:19 AM   #5

The very nature of the film prevents ROC from working. It's also the reason no one wants to process it any more.

The one local lab that still processed it quit this year. The closest location to Dallas where I can have it processed is Miami, I think.

Someday there will be like one guy in a garage processing K.

Buying it isn't a problem. B&H always has some for dinosaur photographers.
scorpio_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 7:48 AM   #6

yep thats me. anything you currently shoot still doesn't have the clarity of kodachrome nor the color depth that is a fact that is cannot be disputed try as you may try. you do not have the bandwidth. i don't dispute that it is coming to an end. but to say it is over now is self deluding. no 5-6 MP camera comes anywhere near that of Kchrome. when we get real and up to 25MP or better and full frame instead of those rather lame crop it into a tele Dslrs. then we'll all say its over. its half way there now and from all of the highest tech companies its Kodak the maker of film. isn't funny that the dinosaur manufacturer should create it's own potential demise in the film business. you see they have a benchmark to work from unlike others. and i feel they have an edge. gee, you next digital Dslr may still have a kodak product in it. the time of the ccd is nearly gone in just a few short years unlike films 100+ and kchromes 50+ years. cmos is now the next king for the moment until whats new comes out of the tech gene pool. and for each increase of quality or change in tech you must purchase the whole new body and it adds up. film cameras where perfected. new/better film increased costs infinatesimally(bad spelling) and didn't require new hardware. i have said it before-what a deal. life is like that you know.

now that i think of it with tech marching on as it is kodaks 4/3 idea maybe the next solution. smaller receptor smaller lenses somewhat smaller body. this of course would take all of the current slrs and Dslrs and make them dinosaurs too. but then thats a year or two away and a massive marketing campaign too to push the advantages of that product. it would be nice to have a 14MP+ camera about 25-30% smaller with interchangeable lenses wouldn't it?

lets face one fact we all loose and we all gain in this imaging revolution. some loose money jumping on every next minor step in digital while others loose as each minor step throws another nail in the coffin of film (yes me). i shoot digital but do not embrace it as of yet as a primary tool. it will come. just give it and me time.

now of course this is just my opinion which is or is not shared by
others.