Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:40 AM   #1

Default Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner

I've been using an Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner for the last three years and all of the sudden its operation is on the blink.

When I turn the on the front panel power button the intial blue light in the center of its lid lights up briefly and the green indicator which first shows goes to a blinking red and also emits an ongoing grunting sound. After launching the Epson icon on my iMac, it says there is a malfunction.

A fine line of light shines from the back of the glass layout, otherwise the lamp fails to beam up.

It appears that the light source of the scanner needs to be replaced. Is this possible to do without taking it in for a costly repair? I noticed your "How to Replace a Scanner Bulb"; however, the Epson guidebooks says regarding replacing the lamp: "Never open the scanner case. If you think repairs or adjustments are necessary, consult your dealer."

Also, listed in the technical specifications is the fact that the light source is a "white cold cathode fluorescent lamp IR LED", which sounds like a combination of the type of lamps it could be (since you talk of both fluorescent and Cold Cathode).

In general, how long would you say a lamp of this scanner should last? It doesn't seem it should have gone out so fast on such a high priced unit that was used sparingly, particularly when a parts person for the scanner stated during a phone conversation that a whole cartridge would need to be replaced not just the lamp. Plus he thought with the presence of sound meant that it could be something else preventing the scanner work from working.

Do you think it would be better to look for a replacement of the same unit rather than spend exorbitant repair fees?

I also have considered getting the much-lesser priced Epson Perfection V500 or V600 Scanner, but it appears to be limited in the size of negatives that can be scanned.

Are there any alternate units of other manufacturers that have the photo-scanning versatility of the Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner--complete with full range of source sizes supported?

Last edited by mwright2; May 2, 2014 at 3:50 AM.
mwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links