Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:51 AM   #1

Default advice on a dedicated film scanner for scanning 35mm colour negatives

Hi!

I知 not pleased with the scans of 35mm colour negs I知 getting with my Canon CanoScan 9000F so I知 thinking of buying a dedicated film scanner for around 500 euros or less, new or second hand.

Among contemporary film scanners Reflecta Proscan 7200/RPS 7200 and Possibly Plustek 8200 seem to lie within my budget frames. But I致e read god and bad things about these so I don稚 know which path to go.
Basically I want better scans than the 9000F seems to be capable of in terms of dynamic range. I知 mostly scanning 35mm colour negatives and only occasionally slides, B&W and larger colour negatives.

I致e also thought about using my dslr as a scanner and buy a copy stand, a macro lens etc. I知 still open towards this solution but I feel I know too little to tell if this would be a better solution than a midrange film scanner such as the Reflecta Proscan 7200.

In addition I need to settle for a scanner software. At this point I知 using Silverfast SE 8 and a demo version of Vuescan. Silverfast took some getting used to but know I致e used it for 3 or 4 years and I think I知 beginning to get a grip on it. However, I get the feeling that the SE version is slightly crippled compared to the Ai version. But the Ai version is very expensive so that lead me to try Vuescan.

Is there anyone out there who can give me any insightful advice on 1) which scanner to pick and 2) if I should stick with Silverfast and possibly upgrade to Ai or if I should migrate to Vuescan?
Thanks very much in advance.
Instamatic76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:51 PM   #2

G'day mate

Like you I also have heaps of slides & negs I would like to digital convert
I have decided to concentrate on the 'use-the-camera' solution as then I can follow my regular pp processes

I have gone this way as the hi cost of hi-quality film / slide scanners combined with their very slow speed does not excite me
However I will follow your progress to see how you end up

Dunno whether this helps - hope so
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day mate

Like you I also have heaps of slides & negs I would like to digital convert
I have decided to concentrate on the 'use-the-camera' solution as then I can follow my regular pp processes

I have gone this way as the hi cost of hi-quality film / slide scanners combined with their very slow speed does not excite me
However I will follow your progress to see how you end up

Dunno whether this helps - hope so
Phil

Cheers mate! And thanks for supporting me.

Actually I'm torn between the film scanner route and DSLR scanning. Not only would the camera solution be faster (at least in theory) but the ability to shoot "tethered" through my PC monitor would be rather convenient.

Also I’ve heard some people use a Photoshop plug-in called ColorPerfect for negative inversion. I'm not sure how effective ColorPerfect is but it sounds like it could be an alternative to Silverfast or Vuescan.

If I decide for the rephotography route I would need to invest in a macro lens AND a new camera since my Nikon D60 lacks Live View and its 10MP might not be sufficient for enlarging 35mm negs. However, I figure a used camera with Live View and perhaps a few more MP:s would be enough and a macro lens can be used for regular photographing as well.

If the difference between a film scanner, such as the ones mentioned in the thread start, and the DSLR method is negligible and if ColorPerfect is as good as some people claim at fixing colours I would seriously consider ditching the idea of buying a new film scanner and go all in for shooting my negatives with a camera, and keep my flatbed scanner (with Silverfast) for scanning paper prints.

Last edited by Instamatic76; Jun 9, 2014 at 6:11 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:34 PM   #4

G'day again I-76

Hmmm - as all of my cameras have EVFs the live view issue is not an issue, if you see what I mean

I am shooting with my Panny G2 using the 14-42 std lens & an extension tube to get down to 1:1

To load slides, i've converted an old Agfa slide viewer device - ripped out the 25w bulb and put a flash in its place. Thus I now load 20 slides in the 'in' tray, use the push-pull lever to insert each slide into the viewer, take a flash photo and move to the next slide. It's quick 'n easy and gets me very satisfactory results

I haven't got around to my negs yet - but I'll set up something similar

hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day again I-76

Hmmm - as all of my cameras have EVFs the live view issue is not an issue, if you see what I mean

I am shooting with my Panny G2 using the 14-42 std lens & an extension tube to get down to 1:1

To load slides, i've converted an old Agfa slide viewer device - ripped out the 25w bulb and put a flash in its place. Thus I now load 20 slides in the 'in' tray, use the push-pull lever to insert each slide into the viewer, take a flash photo and move to the next slide. It's quick 'n easy and gets me very satisfactory results

I haven't got around to my negs yet - but I'll set up something similar

hope this helps
Phil
Cheers Phil!

Most of the family photos are 35mm colour negs, but there are some slides and some other formats as well.

Panasonic G2 is a Micro 4/3 camera, right? I like Panasonics compact cameras, in fact I own a DMC-LX7 for everyday shooting and it's a competent little fellow, excellent for filming.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:15 PM   #6

Hi,

I have had a lot experience with various 35mm negative scanners over the years and can say the Nikon Coolscan 5000 is the best by far. They cost a lot upfront 」800 - 1500 from eBay but they hold their value well and sometimes even increase in value, so when you are finished you can just sell it on eBay, perhaps even for a profit!

I use VuScan with my Nikon scanner and this, in my opinion, produces excellent results.

Alternatively, you could send your negatives to a professional photo scanning service like Scan and Share. They have secure delivery and are very fast - might turn out cheaper to go with these guys and save the massive upfront cost of the scanner. There website is at myphotoscanning.co.uk.

Let me know if you would like any extra info about what i have said.

Freddie
freddie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie123 View Post
Hi,

I have had a lot experience with various 35mm negative scanners over the years and can say the Nikon Coolscan 5000 is the best by far. They cost a lot upfront 」800 - 1500 from eBay but they hold their value well and sometimes even increase in value, so when you are finished you can just sell it on eBay, perhaps even for a profit!

I use VuScan with my Nikon scanner and this, in my opinion, produces excellent results.

Alternatively, you could send your negatives to a professional photo scanning service like Scan and Share. They have secure delivery and are very fast - might turn out cheaper to go with these guys and save the massive upfront cost of the scanner. There website is at myphotoscanning.co.uk.

Let me know if you would like any extra info about what i have said.

Freddie
Hi Freddie and thanks for answering!

I've heard lots of good things about the Nikon scanners. However, afaik none of them are being manufactured anymore (a shame really) so it feels slightly risky to bet 」500-1000 on such old gear, even though they are excellent. What happens if they quit working, are there any spare parts available, can they be repared?

I see that Ffordes have old Nikon scanners in stock, such as http://www.ffordes.com/product/11091413461781. The price seems ok but I'm not sure how this specific model compares to a new midrange film scanner with a similar price tag (e.g. Plustek 8200 or the Reflecta Proscan/RPS/Crystalscan models).

I'm trying out the demo version of Vuescan (versus Silverfast 8 SE) currently, but it'll probably take a while to get a grip on the pro's and con's of these softwares in relation to one another.

Have you tried Silverfast? I didn't like SF at first but the new interface of version 8 has made an improvement to the overall experience imo. But since Vuescan is cheaper than the Silverfast Ai version and can be used on any scanner it seems tempting if I decide to buy a new scanner.

I've thought about sending the files to a professional for scanning (thanks for the link btw). There are similar services here in Sweden as well, but I'm not sure I trust the postal services enough to ship my old negatives .