Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Sep 13, 2002, 1:23 PM   #1

Default Scanning Aging Negatives

Now that I am totally out of film photography, I have been scanning my old slides and negatives. Most of the negatives from 10-15 years ago come out really muddy compared to most of my more recent negatives. I can adjust them to be presentable in Photoshop 6, but I can't get an image remotely close to that from more recent negatives.

All my many film cameras were Nikons, and my scanner is a Nikon IV. My developing was by Kodak in all cases. My film before the advent of Royal Gold was Gold.

Is this to be expected? Are there any tricks to brightening up these images?

Thank you for your experience. I am really shocked by the seeming deterioration.
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2002, 4:33 PM   #2

hate to admit but if they were ektacolor or fujicolor slides and were not kepin in the proverbial cool dark place. there will be signs od deterioration. these are a dye based product and will shift with time. slides hold up the longest and kodachrome is the champ in for longevity in film based product.

you have a nikon 4 scanner. do you have ice3 (ice cubed) turned on? by default they're off.
the AFS software works pretty darn good at recovery of color and reduction of grain. play with it a little until hopefully you get the desired results.

software version 3.12 of nikon scan software is the current one.
give me a rundown of the settings your using to scan the negs.

[Edited on 9-13-2002 by sjms]

[Edited on 9-13-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2002, 6:35 PM   #3

Thanks, sjms.

My first round of scanning was slides, and I hadn't had enough experience to notice how they stacked up. Then I went to negatives and have done enough to see a real difference.

The old negatives are Kodak GOLD, processed by Kodak. The ICE is turned on, and I'm scanning at 8 bit TIFF. I can't think of any other significant settings I am making other than type of film. What is AFS software? Am I missing something?

The negs have been stored in a closet (of course - aren't they all?). Storage conditions obviously weren't great, but I have an air conditioned house.

I sure hope I don't have to re-scan 1,000 negatives! When I recover from my marathon of scanning, I'll go back to slides and see what the comparison is.

Is anybody else seeing this problem?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob
Old Sep 13, 2002, 7:19 PM   #4

excuse me i meant ASF software(Applied Science Fiction). they make ICE3.
in nikon scan 3 there is a tools button then a dropdown list with tools palette 1. the hit that and it drops down to another list. #8 down is digital ice cubed. click on that and tell me the values.

also did you put in the 1.1 firmware u/g?

[Edited on 9-14-2002 by sjms]
Old Sep 13, 2002, 11:03 PM   #5

Well, after your note, I tried to download 1.1 and two other downloads I found on the Nikon site. I didn't know I was supposed to do that. Being the computer whiz that I am, though, I don't think I ever got it done (after multiple tries). How would I know if I successfully downloaded 1.1?

As for Digital Ice, under tools, there is a check in the box by Digital Ice and it says "On (normal). Is that what your're asking?

This is the part of my avocation that drives me up the wall.

Bob

:P
Old Sep 14, 2002, 3:09 PM   #6

there is also in the same block post processing ROC and GEM. are they enabled? and these are the values i'm looking for.

the scan window reads on top reads coolscan xx with a number x.xx @ usb or ieee1394(4000ED). the x.xx should be the firmware number. hope the visual aid helps

[Edited on 9-15-2002 by sjms]
Old Sep 14, 2002, 11:21 PM   #7

Wow, that's what I call above and beyond. Thanks so much.

The firmware number seems to be 1.05. Having been unsuccessful at updating it on-line, I have emailed Nikon to see if I can get a CD. I had to download "Stuffit Expander" before I tried to download the Nikon update and upgrades. I went through this routine multiple times, but never got it to work. After I get some icons, I try to open them, and I get a message saying "Nikon Capture ver 3.0.0 could not be found," and that I need to download it, but I can't even figure out what it is.

ROC and GEM are not enabled. I thought I read somewhere in the directions to leave them that way. Ice is turned on.

I have deleted my attempted downloads, thinking I will start all over again.

It's so blasted discouraging. I must have 15 different programs (including Photoshop and ACDSee), and I've had to learn 5 different digital cameras in the past 18 months plus 2 computers with different operating systems (neither the same as my work computer), a digital wallet, and the photo printer. Some of my dital programs don't seem to like my new XP system, and I'm not doing very well at downloading the drivers. I think I've got too many toys!

(BTW, I'm spending a 3 day week-end in Yellowstone next week. I'm trying to talk myself into just taking the 5700, which I just got. That would be the smart thing - LOL.)

Should the ROC and GEM be enabled? Does the firmware update make that much difference?

Thank you so much (again).

Bob
Old Sep 15, 2002, 12:57 AM   #8

ROC- Restoration of Color
GEM- Reduces grain in images
ICE- removes reasonablescratches and dust

i suggest that you turn them both on and leave the default values set at 5 and 3 like mine. scan a negative and then a slide. above the scanned image area are 2 tabs natural and processed. i think you will notice a subtle difference and image quality. the slider adjustments are to your taste.

for an explanation and education:

http://www.asf.com/

how many images have you done so far?

also if you call nikon digital hotline they can probably walk you through it.

look if you really have aproblem u2u me your tele number and i'll call on my cell. i've got lots of time and coast to coast. pref in the morning. i must work tomorrow afternoon into the wee hours. i'll have you up and running in about 15 minutes.

the reference to stuffit. if your using windows i suggest winzip instead. easier to use. no fork issues as in stuffit.

actually XP has unzipping capability built into it. you don't need stuffit. plz remove it using the control panel and and remove software utility.

http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm

i hope your not downloading nikon capture 3.0 its nikon scan 3.12 for windows

nikon capture is for the D100 camera

http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_tech_cen...productNr=9236

for some reason i can't get the url for the firmware update to show properly you know where to find it.

[Edited on 9-15-2002 by sjms]
Old Sep 15, 2002, 8:31 AM   #9

Thanks so much, sjms. I have written back via u2u, if I did it right. I figure the forum has had enough of my fumbling.

Bob
Old Sep 15, 2002, 10:21 AM   #10

that not true. support is what it's about. keep shooting.