Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Aug 5, 2004, 8:31 PM   #1

I love the features of the Super Coolscan 5000, but don't have the budget. Could anyone offer suggestions for lower priced alternatives?

Coolscan V? Minolta IV? Minolta 5400? Others?

I know you get what you pay for, so what are the tradeoffs? I'll primarily be scanning images for prints (up to 14x20).

Thanks in advance for the advice. :-)
ahlb0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:03 PM   #2

Ed Hamrick, the author of the popular scanner utility named Vuescan, stated a few days ago on the usenet group, comp.periphs.scanners, that he recommends the Coolscan 5000 if money is not a problem for you but otherwise he highly recommends the Coolscan V ED.

You can read the entire thread here. It is very interesting reading.

As for me, since money is a bit tight at the moment, I just ordered the Coolscan V ED from B&H Photo and should have it in a few days - can't wait...

As an aside, I also owned the Minolta 5400 about 8 months ago before I returned it to Amazon. It could take very nice scans except for the fact that there were these strange green horizontal pixel-wide artifacts in the denser areas of many of the scans. Scanning dense slides could take 30-40 minutes per scan. Also, I couldn't scan APS film with it. After awhile I couldn't take it anymore and bagged it up and sent it back.

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote