Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Aug 7, 2004, 10:34 PM   #1

I recently aquired all of my grandparents old slides & 8mm films.

For the slides, I was looking at the PacificImage PF3650u, mostly because it's fairly cheap and has Digital Ice built in. Any thoughts? I was also thinking about the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV, but that does not have the Digital Ice.

I'm stumped for how to do the 8mm film transfer. They used to make little reflection boxes that allowed you to put the project the movie directly into the camera lens, but I haven't seen one in years. Any ideas?
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2004, 11:28 AM   #2

Congrats on inheriting the family picture archives! :-) Converting them over to digital media is a daunting, long, and arduous task. Believe me - I'm in the process of doing it myself.

I am not familiar with the Pacific Digital film scanner. However, cheap may not translate into being good (it might not mean bad either, but the odds are that cheaper means worse). Some of it depends on what your uses for the images will be afterwards. If you only intend to view the pictures on a computer screen and do not desire to printout large format pictures, the less expensive scanners may do the job for you.

One thing to keep in mind is if many of the pictures you've inherited are in slide format and they are Kodachromes, digital ICE isn't going to be of much help. Unfortunately, digital ICE doesn't work well for Kodachrome and b/w. For all other slides and for negatives, ICE works great.

I've had the Minolta 5400 which worked pretty well. There were some problems I had with the 5400 that made me return it though (basically, green lines through dark areas of images and since fixed in firmware as I now understand). It's a bit expensive for consumers at about $800. I've now ordered the Coolscan V ED for $600. The jury is out on that one since I haven't got it yet.

The Scan Dual IV is supposed to be very good and ifthe photos you've inherited are mixed 35mm and medium format sizes then this would be the scanner for you as the Minolta 5400 and Coolscan V ED only do 35mm (APS too for the Coolscan).

As for the 8mm film transfer to digital format... transfer to DVD would be best. I have no equipment to do that on my own so I've decided that I will have to have that done by sending the films out toa service that does that. The rate is pretty reasonable too from what I've seen. Just do a google search using "8mm film transfer DVD" and you should get plenty of hits.

Geoff
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:40 PM   #3

I don't know how I'm going to tell the Kodachromes from anything else. Most of these slides just have dates on them. Mostly early 70's from what I've looked at. Some are badly faded, others are bright and crisp.

I'll probably order the PI scanner from B&H, with the hope that they have a decent return policy if it sucks.

As for thefilm, I'll do that myself as video is what I do for a living. I'm justwondering whatthe consumer market is doing for film transfer these days. I've done this same thing for my other grandparents several years ago by just shooting the projector at a white wall and setting up the video camera next to it. It worked okay, but I'd like to try one of those mirrored transfer boxes if they are any good.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 12:01 AM   #4

I've got the same problem with regards to being able to tell Kodachromes from the other slide film types. Many of my slides are mounted in mounts that don't say what type of film they are - the result of cheap local film processing I'm sure - my fault. What I do is to try a representative slide from the roll and scan it using ICE and w/o ICE and select the one which looks better. It's also known that some Kodachrome film, depending on year it was manufactured does ok with ICE while the same film after a particular year (can't remember what year) doesn't do ok with ICE.

Before I'd go ahead and order the PI scanner, I'd do some google searches using something like "PF3650 review" as keywords. I just did this and came up with this page:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=005rRM

The discussion does not favor this company's scanners...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 8:20 PM   #5

Regarding the 8mm movie transfer-
I have seen one of those mirror-transfer boxes advertized in the SkyMall catalog recently. Go to www.skymall.com and search for 'slide transfer' and you'll find it.

And if you get one, let me know how it works
stan.i.am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:51 PM   #6

Thanks for the mirror box tip. Unfortunatly, $150 sounds a little spendy for a mirror box. I'll keep looking though.

I've heard that the ICE4 scanners can work with the kodachromes to some effect. I got sidtracked in my project with a busy life, so I haven't bought the scanner yet either.

Just wondering though..I saw a slide adapter for the camera lens. Anyone know if these are worth a hill of beans?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 6:34 AM   #7

Was doing a bit of research and noticed this old topic.

Just in case - Kodachrome's K-12processing wasvery complex and technically involved. Processing was so difficult; it was almost exclusive toEastman Kodak processing facilities.I believe the last Kodak K-14 processing plant closed some time in 2004 or 5 leaving Dwayne's Photo in Kansas as probably thelastremaining K-14 processing lab in the US.

Because 99.9% of Kodachrome was processed by Kodak, most Kodachrome slides would be mounted in Kodachrome mounts. Kodak would also process Kodachrome in rolls for those that wished to mount slides themselves.

Ektachrome film Process (E-6) was very user friendly usinga basic film tank and tempering bath and sobecamewidely performed byarmatures, film stores and local labs.

If you compare a Kodachrome and Ektachrome slide you will notice a greater degree of relief on the emulsion side of the Kodachrome slide. The Ekta will appear much flatter. If that doesn't help you can always read the edge printing on the slide that becomes visible once it isremoved from themount.
NJTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:24 PM   #8

Transferring 8mm, Super 8 or 16mm movies is not something you really want to try yourself. There are so many things that can go wrong. With the video tape age, i.e plug and play, the younger generation forget or never knew all the pitfalls of film & projectors, the bulbs, belts, chewing up of film. Add in trying to tame all of that and get a great quality transfer ontop! Even with 'professional' transfers, most companies are just shooting off a wall, which greatly reduces sharpness, color and cropping of the image, add some flicker in if it's really poor!
The best way to go is invest in a professional film scan, then edit on your computer to make your masterpiece! You'll spend more on equipment 'trying' than you will on a frame by frame scan.
http://www.gotmemories.com (480)970-7690
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlpzP...eature=related

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlpzPzVznPc&feature=related[/flash]
gotmemories is offline   Reply With Quote