Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:46 AM   #1

I plan to buy an Epson 4870 scanner to scanB&W and color printsand slides and negatives 35mm to 120. I will replace an old and quirky HP flatbed and a Minolta Dimage Dual 2 film scanner. Judging from reviews I have read, I should get significantly better results with film scans than I have had with the Minolta, due partly to higher resolution of the 4870 and Digital ICE. I can buy the Perfection 4870 for $390 and the 4870 Pro for about $120 more. Would it be wiser to pay the extra for the more sophisticated software?
cirpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:50 AM   #2

Don'tassume that the 4800spi is that much better than the 2700 on the scan Dual II. You will need a bunch of USM with the Epson. The Epson Has ICE for slides and color negs (no B&W or Kodachrome with ICE), so that's better. The noise and DMax should be a little better on the Epson. Focus is a little better on the Minolta. A Dual IV and a cheaper flatbed could be a better choice. I just bought a 4780 PHOTO, not the PRO because I already own the Monaco software and have little use for Silverfast. The two programs do sell for a lot more than the $200 difference, so it makes financial sense if you need even one of them.
mjros61 is offline   Reply With Quote