Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Dec 13, 2004, 2:47 AM   #1

Hi folks,

I've got an old HP Scanjet 5p that I bought at a car boot sale, andin many ways it's very useful.

The big drawback is that I'dhugelylove to be able to scan pix and manipulate them with a photo-editing or drawing prog, but thisscanner won't let me do this. I've got loads of my own pix without negs (pause to beat myself over the head and shout "idiot"....), plus I like doing stuff in different media, and would love to try collages/montages on screen.

Is there any way round the limitations of my scanner, either by a mechanical alteration, or perhaps by doing something like emailing myself pix, and maybe getting access to them that way? I'm not sure how I would do that either. I have broadband, but wonder if O.E. would be happy about me downloading big files? Mine always seems dead keen to compresseven the few small existing folders - as if storage was a big issue...

Any advice would bemuch appreciated.

ABW

Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2004, 8:36 AM   #2
Administrator

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
I've got an old HP Scanjet 5p that I bought at a car boot sale, andin many ways it's very useful.

The big drawback is that I'dhugelylove to be able to scan pix and manipulate them with a photo-editing or drawing prog, but thisscanner won't let me do this.
Since this scanner is so old (introduced around 1997), I've been unable to locate an online userguide for it. But, the software included with it should be able to scan to a JPEG or TIFF image (using the save as option). Then, you should be able to manipulate the images with any image editor.

However, this scanner only had an optical resolution of 300dpi. So, scan quality is not going to be very good if enlargements of your photos are needed.

You may want to look into a new scanner. Even inexpensive scanners (i.e., around $50.00 from online discounters) are likely to have several times the optical resolution of your HP, and will likely produce much better scans.

Here is one inexpensive model (1200 dpi optical resolution):

Canonscan 3000EX

Here is a higher resolution model (2400dpi optical) that also includes the ability to scan negatives and slides:

Epson Perfection 2480 Pro

You may also want to consider one of the "all in one" units (printer, scanner, fax, etc.). Even the inexpensive ones are likely to produce much better scans than your old HP.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:04 AM   #3

I think you are missing something in the twain driver. There is always a way to scan and save the result without having to e-mail it to yourself.

Try this: Download and install the freeware Irfanview at www.irfanview.com. During the install you might want to select "Images only" for associations. It is easy to undo if you don't like Irfanview.

Open Irfanview and go File>Select twain source. If your scanner is listed highlight it and click "Select". Then go File>Acquire. It should open the HP scanning software and the scan will end up in Irfanview. You can then go File>Save and select a format (I recommend TIFF) and where you want to save it. If you are very limited for hard drive space you can use JPG and move the slider all the way right (100%) for best quality and a much smaller file than TIFF.

If you don't see your scanner in "Select twain source" something isn't right with your scanner driver. Download and install the current driver for your OS: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...g=en&cc=us You might have to remove the old one from device manager, control panel>scanners and faxes or add/remove programs.

300 PPI is plenty resolution for photos. Some very old B&W photos were done as contact sheets and can have up to 400 PPI. But color photos from the photofinisher are closer to 200. HP says 150 PPI with anything over 200 being a waste of space. Read this: http://scantips.com/resolut.html He used a Nikon SLR with a fixed focal length Nikkor lens on a tripod and had it developed on a Fuji Frontier. You don't get much better resolution in color prints. He still couldn't get more detail scanning over 300 PPI.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 1:07 PM   #4

Dear Jim C and Slipe,

I cannot thank you enough for your help!!!!!

I'm such anit.I often have a few hiccups when I try and startscanning, so I never realised I could just import images from my rather old scanner into my existing photo-editing prog.Slipe - what you said about Irfranview made me tryagain, and again.... and then it worked fine!

The link about the diffs between scanning film and scanning prints was also very interesting, as was the discussion about dpis needed for different tasks. All very helpful.

Jim, thankfor checking out those scanners. What with all the info given, I now know that for a lot of things my existing scanner will be fine, but sometimes I might want to take something to a professional outlet, for a better quality result.

I'm posting averyold scannedpic in one of the pet forums tonight - and I'll be emailing a copy to the owner of the pet too....

You have made my day!

Thanks again.

Canna.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:02 PM   #5

Glad we got you up and running. Some of that stuff can seem non-intuitive.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote