Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:31 AM   #1

:sad:

I need a flated scanner that can do a good job with negative and positive photo and film and i don't know to chose from the new Canon 8400F and the old Epson 3170.

I saw many review and it seem that the Canon was better but if there are nay one that have saw the two scanner and can tell me haw to chose ... :-)

Thanks

Luca
itecvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:36 AM   #2

Here are some samples, with a couple of 100% enlargements of small portions to show the captured detail, all done on a Canon 4200F flatbed scanner. The images were all Fuji Velvia slides.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=462439

This is about as good as I have ever seen slides scanned with a flatbed scanner. When it comes to slides, it looks to me likeyou probably cannot go wrong with the higher spec 8400F.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 7:43 AM   #3

what about the 8400F, that is the new canon scanner. I'm thinking of that over the Epson simply cause canon can scan a document directly to PDF.
dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:29 PM   #4

The PDF option is very nice. I've also used my 4200F to create multi-page PDF files of magazine articles/reviews so I don't have to keep all these magazines laying around the house. It makes the process very easy.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:51 PM   #5

but aren't PDF files very large? The only advantage i found in PDF is files can't be changed but most of the documents i scanare stored in a format used in Textbridge which shrinks them smaller than JPEG files. Sad part is my textbridge came in the last package of Pagis which isn't supported anymore. Matter of fact it wasn't supported much then. Seams like OCR software fall out of favor real fast. All the reviews really sing praises about Epson scanners. I know it always comes down to Canon or Epson printers and the only reason i went canon was the Epson printer i wanted with the seperate inks took to long to come to market. So i bought an Canon S820 which i'm happy about. You really save money over the long run with seperate inks carts. Now it's Canon or Epson in scanners cause my Mustek 1200 EPIII died which i liked very much. One review wrote that the Canon 8400F scans were a little out of focus and some of the pictures scanned by canon 4200 had what i learned are vertical noise lines running threw the picture. Look at the baseball picture.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:24 PM   #6

Those lines in the baseball picture are also on the slide- I was behind home plate shooting through the backstop netting and not at f2.8- lens was not positioned against the netting, so the netting still showed on the picture.

Regarding the sizes of PDF files, I scanned the 4 page Popular Photography review of the Digital Rebel. The PDF file is 2.6 MB in size. The 1 page review of the Epson R800 printer was 378 KB in size.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 7:22 AM   #7

what does this mean cuase the Canon reads better but does the 16 bit 64k gray levels out way the 256 gray levels at 8- bit? Prices are for buy.com. Mostly i'll be scanning documents and maybe some pictures form magazines and some photo's but don't really see any need for negatives. I'm looking at the 2580 over the 2480 cause in the site that tested both the 2580 seamed to have a little advantage.

One thing since Pagis isn't supported along with textbridge what would be a good replacement scanner suit that covers everything Pagis did?

Canon 8400F $127; 3200 dpi x 6400 dpi Grayscale Depth - 16-bit (64K gray levels) Grayscale Depth (External) - 8-bit (256 gray levels)

Epson 2580 $134 - $20 rebate = $114; 2400 dpi x 4800 dpi Grayscale Depth - 16-bit (64K gray levels) Grayscale Depth (External) - 16-bit (64K gray levels)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/epson-perf-photo.html

One thing i read in the reviews which doesn't make any sense is the poor ratings these scanners get in OCR. If these are build to get all the detail from pictures they would they not be great on scanning words? My guess it all comes down to the OCR software they use. Does eather of these scanners work with pagis?

Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:10 PM   #8

well orderd the Canon 8400F scanner today. PcMagazine seamed to like the canon a lot and the cost between canon and Epson was a few figured i would go with canon. I can't undertsand if the canon can scan the perfect detail shades in a B&W photo why it does poor in OCR. I figure it's because of the free Omnipro software that comes with it and a better software will inprove that. PCMag said the epson did OCR great so i'm wondering if that has to do with the 16 bit internat in B&W compaired to canons 8 bit but i'm sure there is a work around.