Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:59 PM   #1

I am looking to purchase a new scanner and it will be Epson,but not sure which I really need. I scan lots of photos and make enlargements as well. Some of the photos are very old photos that I will need to do some editing to.What scanner would u recommend between the Epson 3170,3200,and 4180? I'm not sure I understand the differences in them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
sassyjo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:32 PM   #2

For photos the 2480 is as good as you need. If your old B&W photos are from contact sheets you might want to scan at 600 PPI. Good color prints don't give any more resolution scanned above 300 PPI. The 2480 is 2400 PPI, which is more resolution than you could possibly use. All Epson scanners give good color and resolution. http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,117057,00.asp

If you plan to scan film and slides a higher resolution scanner will give better scans. There is a lot more information per square inch on a slide or negative than there is on a photo. You might want to consider the 4180 for that.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:40 PM   #3

Thanks for your input,I think I may have a few old negatives laying around that I thought I would check out but mostly just photos. Thanks again.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 9:12 AM   #4

check this site out it takes the Epson 2480/2580 apart and puts them threw the paces.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/oth...erf-photo.html
dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 6:06 PM   #5

Thanks that was very helpful. Appreciate the input.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:29 PM   #6

Technology is faster thenPeyton Manningwas eliminated from the playoffs. I have an Epson 2450 that I have had for a couple years. The scanner is phenominal. Does about all you need for photgraphy, film or digital. So I would imagine the 2480 or 2580 has to be a great choice.
bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:36 AM   #7

I have use Epson Scanner 3200 Photo in one year. It's about more than $350, very good in color correction, and sharpness, scanning paper is better, slide film is better than negative film. One time, I have scanned two 4x5 pictures, at highest resolution, and then conbine them together to panorama (by photoshop CS), and print in Color Lab (40x50 inches), it's still look good (at a distance 2 m).
trungthu is offline   Reply With Quote