Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Nov 22, 2002, 11:52 AM   #1

Default Film Scanner for Mounted 35mm Color Slides?

Film Scanner for Mounted 35mm Color Slides?:

I have m-a-n-y *mounted* 35mm color slides taken over the years.

What is the best way to convert the best of these slides into quality digital images? I have both the Canon EOS D-60 and Powershot Pro 90 IS digital cameras. My OS is Windows 2000 Professional.

Is a digital film scanner the way to go here? Will it take cardboard-mounted slides?

Many thanks.

M i k e
shamrock838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2002, 12:28 PM   #2

it all depends on how you value all those years of shooting. if you want quality images- yes that is the only way to go.

flatbeds can't deliver the quality.

duping with a digital will just degrade them too.

my scanner will deliver up to 65MB file that reproduces a beautiful print.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 4:47 PM   #3

Default minolta scan dual III is quite nice

I'd been looking for a reasonably priced film/slide scanner for a while and saw a review here for the new Minolta scan dual III about a week and a half ago. Steve gave it very nice comments considering that the unit has a street price of only $300. A local camera store actually had an ad in the paper that day with the units going for that price. Took a chance and went down an bought one. Came home, hooked it up and after about 5 minutes I had scanned both my first slide and negative images.
I think that it delivers very nice results for the price. Resolution is up to 2840dpi with 16bits per channel. there is nominal dust correction but nothing approching digital ICE. It includes a copy of Photoshop Elements v1.0 which is nice bonus.
fosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 6:07 AM   #4

Default How much money you got?

I will just ditto everything sjms said. I've got the Nikon Coolscan 4000. It's as good as it gets without spending even more (e.g. Imacon). The digital ICE is great for old dusty/scratched slides and negs.

If you are budget constrained, the new Minolta will be your best bet.

Flatbed scanners have gotten better, but really aren't the right tool for mounted slides.
scorpio_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 3:14 PM   #5
MK

I have the Coolscan IV and ditto with the Coolscan 4000. The 4000 has an optional attachment you can buy that can autofeed 50(?) slides at a time. The IV can do that.

If you have L O T S of slides, I would spend the extra money for an autofeeder.
MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 4:11 AM   #6

Hi: I use an Epson Perfection 1200Photo scanner for posting slides to eBay and also for storing to CD. Works great for my needs.
Mike Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:05 AM   #7

Coolscann 4000 with SF-200 autoloader.

Mine works great with newer plastic mounted slides and not at all with older paper/cardboard mounts of several brands, types, etc. The scanner always draws two or more paper/cardboard slides into the scanning tray requiring that I manually ensure that only a single slide is drawn. This works and is still much faster and easier than manually loading each slide inthe standard apparatus.

I think I can construct a homemade gate to force the scanner to draw only one slide at a time, but I'm wondering if anyone else has already found a solution fto this problem. Scanning many paper/carboard mount slides must be a common goal.

Digital ICE is spectacular and essential for my slides in paper/cardboard mounts that have enormous dust problems. I don't know how to solve the dust issue by cleaning (this dust is very tenacious) and probably wouldn't have the time to do so (for 1000's of old slides) even if I knew how.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave
milstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 7:00 PM   #8

I'm thinking of getting a scanner but mostly for black and white negatives. Does the nikon ICE work with standard (not C-41 process) B&W film? I read somewhere that the IR channel that a lot of the dust/scratch removal relies on doesn't work on B&W negative film nor with some Kodak slide film.

Second question - does any one have any experience using the Minolta scanner with a Mac?

TIA
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 7:47 PM   #9

I've only scanned Kodachrome and Ektachrome. Both worked well but I can't swear that ICE was equally effective on both. No experience with B&W on this scanner.

Dave.
milstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:15 AM   #10

I use an HP S20 for that. Not the level of quality you can get with some of the other scanners listed here. But you can get it for $200.
That is good for slide, film and 4x6 prints.
Elrascal is offline   Reply With Quote