Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:44 AM   #11

Sorry about the spasm in the ``send" finger. If you are interested in seeing what the 4870 can do with a 35mm Ektachrome slide, e-mail me at cirpi@aol.com. The example I can send via e-mail attachment is 13 mb in .jpg, but I can winnow it down to around2.5 mp without sacrificing too much quality.
ocolnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:37 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replies...

I talked with my father, and he was prepared to shell out the cost of something like the Minolta 5400. Having looked at many many samples/comparisons by now, I believe there is quite substantial quality gains by choosing that over one of the flatbeds.

Now I am waiting for Minolta 5400II reviews to see how it matches up.
karto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 10:24 AM   #13

Karto,

I own a Professional Photo Finishing Lab and I am currently do scanning services for my customers. I have the ability to scan images (film 35mm, 220, 120, or slides) to a tiff or jpeg format. If you do this or have someone else do this for you I would recommed that these images be saved to an archival quality CD or DVD. If you wanted a quote for this service let me know. My lab is usingKodak's HR500 scanner with Digital ICE (which will remove all dust spots and minor scatches on the image).This scanner is one of the best on the market today.
rfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 10:02 AM   #14

ocolnago wrote:
Quote:
Sorry about the spasm in the ``send" finger. If you are interested in seeing what the 4870 can do with a 35mm Ektachrome slide, e-mail me at cirpi@aol.com. The example I can send via e-mail attachment is 13 mb in .jpg, but I can winnow it down to around2.5 mp without sacrificing too much quality.

with all due respect i have that scanner and with regrets no it does not do a slide justice. and i can offer you a 65MB jpgimage offof adedicated slide scanner that you can step all over without anywhere near the losses that the flatbed one will produce.

its all in what you are willing to compromise to. the dynamic range is greater giving you a greater working latitude.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:19 PM   #15

I have 5 boxes of slides. There over 100 slides. It would be pricy to take to get put on a DVD because of how many there are.

You have any reccomendions on a slide scanner I can buy that can scan a lot of slides at a time. Most of them don't have and physcail damages. Some might be dusted.

I do have a DVD burner, just no slide scanner.

Thanks,

Emery

Emery is offline   Reply With Quote