Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Image & Film Scanners

Old Apr 4, 2005, 8:07 AM   #1

:?I have a Visioneer usb scanner that is next to useless for scanning in pages of text. The results are weak and appear washed out.

I'm willing to buy a new scanner but don't want another loser.

I run XP home on a fast pc. I plan on doing mostly printed documents as images and as OCR text.

How about the Canon 8400F?

What else?

Thanks.
nacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:52 AM   #2

From my experience, just about any Epson flatbed (I've owned 3 of them, plus handled a number of others) will do an excellent job.

Generally, they're hard to beat.

Recently bought for a friend a used Epson 1640SU off Ebay -- $45, works really well for both color and text.

My own down the years have been 5000GT, 6000GT, 8500GT and now a 4990 Photo -- all have been fine and problem free, can't believe the quality of scans from the new one (it's probably a bit out of your price range, tho' -- look at the 2480.)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:40 PM   #3

Wow, I have a Visioneer 8700, and love it to death. I scan text everyday with it and couldn't imagine using anything else.
Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:53 PM   #4

Hi Bucky.

I had an older Visioneer scanner that worked great. When I upgraded to a new computer and Windoze XP, I was told by the Windoze install that my old scanner would NOT run on XP, replace it. Visioneer said they did not support it with XP.

I took Visioneer up on a deal to upgrade scanners for a reasonable fee. It was that or junk it.The scanner I received is a VisioneerOne Touch 9220 USB. This unit performs poorly compared the earlier one I had. Color photo scans are okay. Text document scans are poor, even at the highest resolutions. OCR text scans contain many more errors than the old Visioneer hardware/software had.

This scanner is almost brand new and is for sale cheap. I have a new scanner on a UPS truck right now, it may arrive today.

Thanks.

Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:27 PM   #5

nacs wrote:
Quote:
Hi Bucky.

I had an older Visioneer scanner that worked great. When I upgraded to a new computer and Windoze XP, I was told by the Windoze install that my old scanner would NOT run on XP, replace it. Visioneer said they did not support it with XP.

I took Visioneer up on a deal to upgrade scanners for a reasonable fee. It was that or junk it.The scanner I received is a VisioneerOne Touch 9220 USB. This unit performs poorly compared the earlier one I had. Color photo scans are okay. Text document scans are poor, even at the highest resolutions. OCR text scans contain many more errors than the old Visioneer hardware/software had.

This scanner is almost brand new and is for sale cheap. I have a new scanner on a UPS truck right now, it may arrive today.

Thanks.
Quote:
That doesbite man. I'm a windows xp pro and home guy. sorry to hear that.

Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:22 PM   #6

I'm not familiar with Visioneer's twain driver. You should have a choice to use Line Art or 1 bit black and white. When you use that mode the histogram turns to a "Threshold" control. Tweak that and you should get good looking text. Epson is about the last holdout for point and shoot scanner drivers and I would be surprised if your Visioneer didn't have the controls necessary to tweak your text. Even Epson is putting a histogram on their upper end consumer scanners now. Just about everyone else has had them on the entire line.

If you scan text as grayscale and leave the histogram at default many scanners produce poor text. OCR usually wants Line Art or 1 bit B&W rather than grayscale as well.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:42 AM   #7

My replacement, a Canon 8400F arrived last night. The software install, while a bit time consuming, went well and didn't offer any confusing decisions to me made.

My very first scan was far better than any I received from the Visioneer. I have much to discover about the Canon and work on that soon. I'll want to understand the OCRprocess next.

The Visioneer will next be seen on EBAY.

My cat, Wilbur, says hello.

Nacs

Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:34 AM   #8

More: The Canon 8400F is an amazing improvement over either of the Visioneer scanners I've owned.

Last night I started doing OCR andit is amazing. The combo of the scanner and supplied software works very well. I tested the Canon with a page of text that the Visioneer could never convert for me. The Canon got it right the very first time. This page is a printed Excel sheet with cell lines, etc. mixed with the text.

Low definition (fast) scans of text documents can automatically be saved as easily readable PDF files, nice.

Another nice feature, the "warm up" delay for the first scan is noticable shorter than that of the Visioneer units.

The Canon 8400F was delivered to my door for less than $150, installed without any hangs or confusion, operated 100% immediately, produces excellent results, and even makes me smile when I think about using it. Wilbur & I have a new friend.

Thank you to Steve's Digicams for offering these forums.

Nacs

Old May 13, 2005, 9:25 PM   #9

Hey nacs, Am on the verge of purchasing a 8400F. You still like/love yours? Thanx
Vietvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 10:00 PM   #10

I love the Canon 8400F. The hardware is very good, the supplied software is 1000% better than that supplied with my Visioneer.

I'm scanning printed documents that I have never before been able to do.

I gave the Visioneer away to a friend at my local church. I made him promise not to bring it back.

Nacs